on 1 March 2015
I am disappointed to have to mark this bit of kit down by one mark, and it is purely for the fact I do not expect to have to, (after a significant outlay for a disabled retiree) make a repair on the motor cowling that was hitting the cooling impelar on the motor. this is not the first review I have seen for the same problem, so attention needed Draper. However that said, the machine is well made, very heavy providing good stability, although this alone does not negate the need for suitable anchoring, especially if you decide to bench mount. iI have high confidence that this product will serve well to the wood turning "virgin" or indeed the more experienced hobbyist.
on 20 September 2011
Recently constructed a workshop and my first purchase was this lathe, something I had always promised myself. It looks and is substantial and damned heavy. For my purposes it is perfect and soon it will prove its worth. It is not a screamer, but almost relaxing in use, with simple and positive controls. The price paid was also very attractive.
on 25 August 2009
Had researched the product prior to purchase. Was exactly as expected and although there was a small problem with the speed change Draper Tools sorted it immediately. Superb service! Although delivery of the lathe was advised as being within the next week, it actually arrived by UPS the NEXT DAY direct from the manufacturer although the order was placed via their distributor AHC of Camberley.
on 7 March 2015
I have had this lathe for more than 5 years and found it to be really good.
Its powerful, smooth and reasonably quiet. It's what i would call an intermediate lathe, not cheap and fragile but not perfect, but saying that if you wanted to go to next level you would have to pay twice as much.

Over the years i have made a number of modifications, i added a plate at the back of the headstock to mount the switch, now the switch is much easier to get at and if the headstock is moved its always in the same place.
You may find the drive belts and pulleys get blocked with dust (mine did) I didn't know this was the problem because i had belt slip, i contacted Draper telling them i had belt slip, they immediately sent me a new belt F.O.C (still have in the package) Anyway i cleaned in all out and oiled the shafts it was back to perfect.
To stop the dust again i put a strip of self adhesive drought excluder round the motor where it enters the casing, it filled the gap perfectly.

Would i buy this lathe again, yes!
on 21 March 2012
This is my first lathe. The delivery was excellent with a prearranged 2 hour slot. The price was great. Once you open the box you find out just how heavy it is. It really is a 2 man job to put it together. The stand is very stable and the lathe runs well. The unit assembled easily, but you do have to drill your own holes in the stand leg to mount the power switch. How ever the lathe is only supplied with spindle chucks. If you want to turn bowls you will need to buy a separate combination chuck.
on 26 November 2013
very good quality machine heavy and precision made I fixed it to a bench instead of the bench provided.the stop button is available to move where you want it . with its solid track its got more precision than other lathes ive had. im enjoying the lathe
on 29 March 2014
Very happy with product and service.
on 30 April 2014
I learned to turn wood at college and night classes over 30 years ago, but raising a family etc. has put off my dream of a wood-turning hobby, until now. You can imagine my shear delight (not) when I found out my lathe was damaged. I live in the Republic of Ireland but the lathe was delivered to a family member in the UK in order to save money. My son, on a rare trip to the UK in his van picked up the lathe for me. It comes in the manufacturer's packaging which, unbelievably, is cardboard and polystyrene. I felt sure it would be a wooden crate considering the package weighs 95 kg. Also, the tail stock, tool rest and motor are already assembled on the lathe bed. As a result, it would appear that the courier 'upended' the package and bounced it along before leaving it leaning upright against a wall outside. In fairness, Amazon offered me a complete refund but, of course, that would not get me wood turning. So I agreed to take a 15% refund (my plan was to buy a new motor fan cowling direct from Draper and live with the bent tool shelf. The lathe was brought back to Ireland, assembled and the damage fully assessed. I rang Draper, who tried to get me to deal with Amazon only, however on speaking to a very helpful man in the returns department, I was informed that the cowling was actually unavailable as it is a part of a part. So, here I am with a lathe that I cannot use until one is returned to Draper damaged and they will send me the cowling... Considering the awful packaging, I may not be waiting too long!
on 6 March 2014
Three leavers failed after only two weeks use. Were finally replaced (F.O.C)

Clamps holding Head stock, tailstock and banjo come loose easily (Needs "lock nuts") Draper have no answer to this!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse