Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 2011
I will buy the next book (the yet to be published Dragonrider) as I'm a completist, but if you aren't I'm not sure that you should bother with this. First off the prose just doesn't grip like an Anne McCaffrey book - somehow I just can't care as much about this lot. Secondly this one just piled disaster upon disaster - what else is poor Lorana going to have to suffer? Thirdly it's a shame that although there are some really good ideas here (the increase in the number of women riders is just one), the overriding impression of the book is - 'Fiona's sleeping with who tonight?', 'how young is that girl?', 'oh whoops lots more people just died, nevermind'.
on 11 September 2017
a later book in the late Anne McCaffrey's 'Pern' series, as always excellent.
on 11 May 2017
Enjoyable read
on 15 August 2015
a bit of a change bit good
on 16 November 2011
I think it's now got to the point where we have spent too much time with the same characters. I'm no longer interested in their stories, in fact I'm finding them more than slightly annoying. I kept finding myself wishing they would all be killed off by which ever plague is currently going around so I would have to deal with an entire cast of Mary-Sue's.

We know it is possible to travel between time, but there was far too much of it in this book and, for me, it didn't really add anything to the plot. A plot which was so lacking as to be almost non-existence while at the same time filled with so many overblown complexities as to leave the reader dazed and confused.

In truth Dragon's Time reads like a piece of fan fiction, with cannon facts completely ignored just so the writer can shine an even brighter spotlight on his heroine. A character he seems to think the rest of the world adores as much as he does. However she just comes across as a sickeningly sweet nightmare.

But worse than all of this, which as a die hard Pern fan I could forgive, is the fact that the dragons have been relegated to the sidelines. As another reviewer perfectly stated it 'they've been turned into glorified transportation that only show up to mate or die'.

No one was expecting Todd McCaffrey to write Pern the way is mother did, but if he doesn't get his act together I fear it will be too late for a series that, potentially, still had so much more to give.
on 24 June 2012
I have loved Anne McCaffrey's Pern books since reading Dragonflight back in the Seventies and leapt on this new book as Anne is sadly with us no more, however it is not really a book by her having been written by her son Todd as a sequel to his "Dragongirl" and it certainly shows! It has none of the sympathetic characters that Anne was so good at creating, the central character Fiona apparently loves lots of people around her but I found her distinctly unappealing. Kindan a hero of earlier books now has a minor role and there were lots of other characters behaving in strange ways that I frequently either forgot who they were or couldn't work out what they were doing in the story.

Also the story jumps about in time worse than "Back to the Future", with Lorana coming and going to support an "is she dead or not" conundrum. Plus once again there is a sexual partnership where the female partner is only 12 or 14 which is below the age of consent and not a great role model.

I struggled to finish it in the end and only the hope that something good might happen kept me going, overall it was a huge disappointment. If you love Anne McCaffrey's books of Pern then go back and re-read them rather than bothering with this.
on 28 June 2012
This book must be the nail in the coffin.Sadly the much loved stories of the dragons of Pern have gone between for ever.This book is a none starter lots of confusing time jumping endless babble about the sex life of Fiona. no action little involvement of the Dragons, a bore from start to finish. R.I.P. pern
on 21 June 2012
Thousands of years after humans colonised Pern and genetically modified dragons to help them fight the dreaded Thread the world finds itself on the brink of disaster.
The dragon's sickness has left Pern with perilously low numbers of Dragons to fight the deadly Thread with. Although Lorena found a cure to the sickness, the cure came too late to save the animals in sufficient numbers. And every Threadfall, the numbers of available dragons dwindle further. The people of Pern will have to find a way to quickly increase the number of dragons if they want to have a chance to survive.
In a desperate bid to find a solution, Lorena decides to fly forward in time knowing that this action will cost her the baby she is carrying.
While Lorena is travelling into between and through time, looking for a place to safely raise more dragons, back on Pern Fiona, Kindan and T'mar are trying to fight the Thread without dwindling the numbers of dragons and riders too fast and struggling to keep despair at bay.
Most people are convinced that Lorena must be lost to them and put Fiona's reports of contact with the traveller down to pregnancy induced hallucinations.
When Lorena returns though, she has found a possible location and solution and soon the group find themselves on a newly discovered continent in a different time raising the dragons they will need to have a chance at survival. An enterprise that will turn out not to be without difficulties of its own and filled with danger and potential loss of loved ones.

Reading and reviewing a book that is the fourth title in a series which itself is part of an even larger series when you haven't read a single one of the earlier titles is probably not a great idea.
Of course every good book is able to stand on its own merits; a reader shouldn't need to have read the previous titles in order to enjoy the story they are reading. And I didn't. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, fell for its characters, both human and dragon, and found myself completely rapped up in the struggle to save Pern from the deadly Thread despite being new to this world. Having said that, I have absolutely no doubt that I would have enjoyed this book more if I had read the previous books in the series, had known more about the background of the characters and the situation they find themselves in. I was constantly aware of the fact that I was probably missing links, references to prior events and other connections. But, that didn't stop me from picking up the book on a wet Saturday morning and finishing it the same evening, compulsively turning the pages in order to find out what exactly was going on and how it all would end.
This is a well written book and an easy read. It is easy to lose yourself in the surroundings, the characters and the interactions between them, to marvel at the dragons and their links with their humans and as a result it is only natural that you start to care about the fate of all these characters as well.
I'm not sure if I'll ever find the courage or the time to go back and read all the Pern books I have missed. I will however read the next book in the New Adventures of Pern series because I really want to find out what is going to happen next.
on 12 August 2011
With Dragongirl setting the bar on the floor of satan's wine cellar, I thought this series had nowhere to go but up.

I was wrong.

The plot is at once turgid and yet overblown. With Todd's excursions into the dragon plagues timeline needing some firm hammering out, I wasn't expecting much. What we got was a confusing mess of deus ex mechanica style time travelling that fits as smoothly as a square peg into a round hole.

The characterisation is not what I have come to expect of Pern: in parts you can almost feel Anne slapping Todd away from the keyboard in an attempt to bring sanity to the mess of the current story arc, but these attempts simply throw it further out of line with the writing style long-term readers have become familiar with. The book feels schitsophrenic; making attempts to bring Todd's work into line with Anne's canon and falling completely flat on its face.

This book unfortunatly was already crippled by its predecessor and for the sake of continuity has to carry over much of its baggage in terms of plot and prose. The Dragons especially seem to have been pushed to the sidelines, save when they make an appearance to conveniently mate or die horribly to drive the sluggish plot. At all other times they're buried beneath reams of rider soliliquising; the emotional connection that made earlier books enthralling does not exist. Counter-intuatively to the title, the dragons seem little more than glorified transportation, living aphrodisiacs and expendable deaths to create drama that is becoming distinctly stale after three books of it. Human characters too have recieved a downgrade; the intricate Pernese social and cultural mores and character development these prompted that were so closely explored in Anne's original works seem to have been thrown aside in favour of underage threesomes and shock drama gained from torturing the cast.

Whilst I can appreciate that trying to form a workable story when the outcome is already a given and the past set in stone is not easy, it calls into question the necessity of the entire arc. Todd's idea of meddling with Pernese chronology by further exploring the dragon plagues era had a bullet in one knee before pen was even put to paper by Moreta and Nerilka's story; wonderfully written, moving and neatly self-contained exploration of that time-period. Attempting to scrape enough retcons to shoehorn this mess in is just going to alienate fans of the originals.

If Dragongirl was throwing Moreta and Lessa into a blender with the Olsen twins and publishing the result, Dragon's Time is the dregs that were left in the bottom. Readers new to the series will find this a lacklustre, uninteresting read with a confusing chronology. Seasoned Pern fans will despise it.

I am dreading to see what next book has in store.
on 22 April 2017
I just keep reading thesee books in the hope that McCaffrey Junior has learned to write - sadly not this time. There is actually a good storyline running through it but it is hidden under endless dialogue that is hard to follow, characters that don't have any reason to be there and sub plots that are not carried through. Time paradox is, for me, usually a good theme but it just doesn't work here - I could'n't keep track of who was when! And, as other reviewers have noted, the dragons have no personality - and actually most of the people don't either. Fiona, as a main character, is a complete wimp and I want to read fantasy not domestic drama...Sure, Lorana sacrifining her baby is important to the theme but other female characters being pregnant has no relevance and is boring (if I wanted those sorts of stories I would be reading Catherint Cookson|) and I find all this three in bed stuff a bit odd. Dear Todd; please write about characters that are brave strong, people who make tough choices. Please write about adventure and action, heroes and heroines. Give us characters that inspire us. Give us escapism, give us fantasy. Be like your mum and give us a ripping yarn!