on 16 August 2017
good read
on 30 December 2010
Having read other work by the author, I was not disappointed by content or execution - in fact this filled in some of the blanks. Not a personal story - it revolves around power plays and politics, with the technology of war filling in the gaps in the discussions.

However, it was made more difficult in the Kindle edition by having a few characters/words missing ~ery so often - disrupting the ~ow of reading. (My ~ for emphasis...) - one more star if that gets fixed!

Edit - see the author's reply below, one star added for updating :)
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 1999
This book will have you lying in bed at night wondering if it really could happen. Hawksley and Holberton have put a lot of reasearch into this scenario of how China's aspirations of reunifying it's historically held territories may be played out in the future. They have consulted military, politcal and financial sources to make this novel very realistic reading.
on 1 September 2011
A great thrill ride and a "future History" many of whose predictions have already come to pass. So, you ask, if the story is so good,why only three stars? Simple, parts of the Kindle version are unreadable! half a word missing here, half a line missing there. In parts the Kindle book is more like a comprehension (cloze)exercise than a novel and the parts referring to the financial markets have most of the figures missing! In short, the publisher made a really sloppy job of converting a great novel into an ebook. It is to be hoped that they've made a better job of their other Kindle offerings.
on 4 August 2016
3 stars is the absolute best I can go with this one.

A decent and quite plausible scenario but I got the impression the author was happier writing the political background, briefings and speeches than the military conflict, weapons or tactics which were lacking in any real detail. Reading the authors bio "His work as a BBC foreign correspondent has taken him all over the world" perhaps explains why this feels like reading a news report. The facts are there but the detail is missing.

There are authors who can make you feel you're in the cockpit of an aircraft, or sheltering from an incoming raid.
This just feels very detached and there isn't a single character in the book that I felt I 'knew', cared about or hated.

I have 'Dragon Fire' by the same author sitting on my Kindle .... this book has put me off reading it (at least for now)
on 30 April 2014
Having started by reading the very good "third world war", this is extremely disappointing. As mentioned by other reviewers, there are a large number of typographical errors mainly in the form of missing characters which ruin the reading experience. In addition to this, the story reads like a newspaper editorial rather than a novel. There is very little attempt to personalize characters which as any abide readers knows, is the absolute key to a good novel.
I will attempt to persevere in the hope that the novel improves and hope that the third book which I have purchased is better!
on 27 January 2013
My first kindle book, and I smashed it in 2 days. Very enjoyable, accurate assessment on what surely will happen within the next 20 years or less.

I can't talk about the grammar, but for pure escapism it was excellent.
Well researched, the action scenes were believable.

One negative for me was it all finished rather soon, surely the USA would not "roll over " as described in the book. For all our sakes lets hope not!
on 15 November 2015
A great book, well researched and paced really well. A tendency to ignore the actual capabilities of US and UK anti submarine forces in-order to make the plot work. Far to verbose at times but its easy to skip some bits. This could have been a 5 star book but the ending is a real cop out by the authors (I will not spoil it) it made no sense at all and spoilt the book for me. DO read it its is a good book.
on 13 September 2011
Interesting concept for a novel but a bit heavy (padded out) with political comings and goings and fails to hold the attention. Not helped by a very poor conversion to Kindle which leads to poor spelling etc, others may have seen this with other books but it is the first time I have come across this to this extent.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2014
I have read two excellent books previously by Humphrey Hawksley. Sadly I cannot place this in the same category as them .The basic premise was good but I found myself skipping passages and pages of non essential filling. However it will not deter me from reading further books by the Author.