on 8 September 2013
The speech recognition is really very good but it has a problem with "linking" words, such as "and, of" and other commonly used words such as "a, the, it", and "are, I" and you will find that these are often omitted if you actually use normally paced speech which the software claims you should be dictating in rather than staggered, painstakingly careful pronunciation (which actually helps resolve the above issues but is a real pain to do). That said, I have been using the software to dictate this review, and although some editing was required, it certainly got the majority of the dictated text right. As such, I think the speech recognition largely lives up to their advertised standards - what does not, however, is the software's stability. I find that it is very buggy and crashes are more frequent than you would expect. This is particularly true for a related application, Dragon Notes, which finds it particularly difficult to append larger notes at some place within the note. That being said, I need to qualify that I'm using all of these on a VMWare virtual machine running Windows 7 (Fusion desktop with my Mac), which may explain some of these. In any case, these stability issues are a real downer for me and almost a dealbreaker as it's really frustrating if the software crashes frequently while you're working and you have to restart it all; fortunately, you usually do not lose any work if you work in applications with an autosave mechanism such as Word or Dragon Notes. Hence the 3 star rating; I would give it just 2, but I think the high quality of the speech recognition bails it out there. I really hope Nuance improves the stability issues sooner rather than later.
on 13 August 2013
I have just bought the download version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking, as such I'm using it with my own headset and microphone.
Now I have done a few of the training sessions, although I haven't completed all of them. And I have to say that I am surprised on the whole, the program gets most everything right. Give or take the missed words that I'm pretty sure my own method of speaking tends to miss out rather than the computer missing what I'm saying. So at the moment I am confident that the programme is going to do exactly what I wanted it to do. If this changes over the period of my experience I will write another review. But at this point of the process I am very pleased with how it is performing and I look forward to utilising it.
I've been very impressed indeed with Dragon NaturallySpeaking and am using it far more than I expected. I had in mind that I would use this for creating rough drafts of quite long documents. However, I find myself using it for almost everything. It is surprisingly intuitive and, most importantly, it has learnt my voice very, very quickly and is extremely accurate.

However, I'm unable to give a full five stars because the Google Chrome extension causes the browser to crash daily and with such severity that it brings down the entire PC. Obviously I have disabled the extension, which means I can't control Google Chrome by voice, although I can dictate to it as I'm doing now. Most irritatingly Nuance are fully aware of this issue, but seem unconcerned. They suggest downgrading to Internet Explorer.
on 11 November 2013
After attempting to install Dragon NaturallySpeaking on a `Vista' machine the following message was received:

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 is not compatible with your operating system. Please consult the product documentation for a list of compatible operating systems. For additional information, please review the systems requirements in the knowledgebase at http:support.nuance.com (article number 6700).

If this happens to users running Vista, it is likely that Microsoft's Vista Service Pack 2 will need to be installed prior to installing Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Once installed, I found Dragon NaturallySpeaking to be a fantastic piece of software; in particular I found the interface intuitive and the accuracy of speech recognition remarkable.
on 18 April 2015
I have used this system before and re-ordered for a different laptop. Dragon is good but not perfect, it will save you lots of time and its a fast way of writing reports, but please proof read afterwards.Reading back over some of the dictation Dragon has written some funny things down instead of what I said. BUT, its still so much quicker and easier than typing.
on 6 September 2014
I really like this version of Naturally Speaking Dragon. Is has more accuracy than I expected, and is responsive. You will need to train it, especially if you have an accent (I do!). That said, I purchased the download and within a couple of hours of training I was using it and enjoying the ease of dictating and seeing the words appearing on the screen.

I would have given DNS 5 stars, because it you will need to proof read following dictation, and there maybe mistakes in it. Hence 4 stars and not 5. You clear speakers may get better results.

It did not take long to download as expected (told over an hour but indeed only took 16 minutes). Enjoy using this product.
on 8 July 2014
Been using for about 2 weeks. Have found it relatively difficult to use as my accent is Southern Africa and Dragon finds it difficult, however it is improving day by day. The product was very slow to download and it also on first download had a virus with, so had to reinstall.
on 18 April 2016
Extremely unhelpful if you want un-install from one PC and install in another. The deactivation process is just not fit for purpose.
on 27 February 2014
a very useful addition to my office - helps speed up writing times and is pretty easy to use once you have mastered the basics
on 20 May 2015
Great seller. Very pleased, quick dispatch!!! Highly recommend :)