Customer reviews

on 17 May 2017
Children in my infantclass always loved this story. Great fun for adult and child.
on 23 October 2003
I am an Early Years Practitioner with young children of my own and until recently a devoted dog owner. This is one of the most entertaining and hilarious books that I have read recently. I read it first in the local university's resource centre. A brilliant book for children all aged 5 to 95!!!
Such wonderfully funny (yet true!?!) descriptions of all the really YUKKY things that man's best friend gets up to and some of the more unbelievable things too!! The fantastic illustrations and writing brought a tear of joy to my eye as I recalled the tricks that my own canine friends indulged in. I only wish every book written were just like this one - 'What a wonderful world this would be'.
on 12 November 2014
Another in the glorious series conjured up by Jeanne Willis with the wonderful illustrations of Tony Ross, which gives Dr Xargle's take on the relationship between humans and dogs. Anyone who has ever owned or entered a house with a dog will instantly recognise the chaos that can ensue, especially after a dog has indulged some of its more unmentionable habits. Both children and adults will enjoy this book which made me laugh out loud.
on 13 September 2001
Highly recommend this book. Alex,6, loves it and reads it over to himself (normally we have to read to him).
on 6 February 2014
This is a lovely book with great illustrations, the humour is for slightly older children (than toddlers) and my son (12 yrs) thought it was babish, but I thought it was lovely and explained to him that babies would not be able to understand the humour.
on 3 March 2014
The Grandsons liked me reading it to them. I didn't liked Grand Ma Reading it to me, not at 4 o clock in the Morning! well she suffers from Insomnia. (joking apart) it is not bad.
on 4 February 2001
Those of you with young kids may already have come across Dr Xargle, the multi-eyed green alien who lectures on human family life, "They come in four colours, black, brown, pink or yellow but not green." Dr Xargle has recently turned his attention to canine family members. His book has one or two misunderstandings but that's only to be expected when you are studying a subject far away across the galaxy. For example, after feeding, "They must be taken to a place called walkies, which has many lamp-posts." The words may not be quite right but we all recognise the situations. The book is full of pictures that will be all too familiar to some of us. A recommended bit of light reading, it makes an excellent present for kids, dog owners or someone thinking of buying a dog. Do NOT use it as a training manual though.
on 5 December 2012
Dr. Xargle's Book of Earth Hounds is a wonderful book for the young. It is entertaining and very readable. I would recomend it.
on 5 June 2013
This book is great fun for everyone. The illustrations are hilarious and the text amusing too! I'm sure you'd like it!
on 24 June 2014
bought as a gift for dog loving new parents. perfect. love the dr xargles series and would recommend to all