Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Sep 2007, 22:23:29 BST
EVHWannabe says:
Atkins himself, died grossly overweight and was developing diabetes due to his daily diet

Neither claim is accurate.

Atkins died WITH heart disease, not OF heart disease. He contracted a heart disorder as a result of a viral infection - not diet related - many years earlier. This was common knowledge and something he himself spoke about quite freely for many years before his death.

Atkins died as a result of complications arising after falling into a coma after hitting his head in a fall.

At the time of that accident, Atkins entered the hospital at the start of his coma weighing 200 lbs - for a tall man, that was within a normal weight range, though maybe slightly above optimum.

During his coma while in the hospital, complications arising from the coma saw progressive organ failure, resulting in significant fluid retention. It was that fluid retention that was responsible for the 37 lb weight increase while in the coma (and obviously not adhering to his own diet plan while in a coma).

Even so, the critics arguing that he died "morbidly obese" just isn't true. For a tall man, not even 237 lb can be called morbidly obese. (Overweight, yes - for the fluid retention reasons just discussed.)

Plus the best thing is i have lost over 14lbs (A Stone) in 5 Weeks... and i'm eating better food, in greater quantities than every before, so no useless hunger on so called " Good For You low calorie" diets, i am 38 and feel 18.....don't knock if you ain't tried it.
;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2007, 13:27:14 BST
Topsy Turvi says:
Thank goodness someone who REALLY knew what they were talking about gave this response to a mis-informed common myth.

I also found the Atkins Diet extremely successful, and have managed to keep the stone and a half I lost off for 4 years now. If the weight does start to creep back on, I go 'strict Atkins' for two weeks, and I'm back on track again. I'm 53, but I feel and look better than people of my age I know suffering the misery of their low fat diets, because I' actually eating more healthily than they do.

And if you want answers to the line we are being spun about fat and cholesterol by the Food Processing lobby, I suggest you also read 'Eat fat, lose fat' by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig.

Atkins' research and thought processes were respnsible for the popular 'GI/GL' diets that are much-heralded now, but he is not given credence for this.

Reading the theory, and DONE PROPERLY, this is the best thing since...........well, NOT sliced bread, that's for sure!

Posted on 6 May 2012, 12:23:50 BST
Hilary says:
The Atkins diet is the only way of eating that has ever enabled me to lose any weight for any amount of time. The main reason is that when I am hungry I experience intolerable anxiety and only the low carb way can let you eat less without hunger. Another reason is that when on the Atkins diet I felt incredibly well and energised. I did miss bread and cake and potatoes, they were some of my favourite foods (probably explains why I was overweight). All the misapprehensions, scare stories and, frankly, lies that have been spread since his system became popular can easily be explained by two things: 1. big business is making a huge profit out of the dizzying array of foods, including low-fat 'diet' foods that they can manufacture so cheaply, and 2. governments have spent so much time in the 'war on obesity' browbeating us with ill-researched advice to go low-fat, low calorie to lose weight that they are quite simply embarrassed to change tack in the light of more recent research. The third aspect is that it is just so tempting to blame the individual for weight, whereas it takes a person of overwhelming motivation, iron discipline and an abnormally healthy personality to keep the weight off using this model.

After losing a stone painlessly with Atkins, I reverted to a 'balanced' diet again, partly through absorbing the anti-Atkins propaganda which was telling me I was endangering my health, and partly because of the difficulty in holding out against a culture of carbohydrate eating. Now I have realised that I must think and act for myself and have gone back to the low-carb life, this time for good.

It is almost incredible to me to see how so much research is ignored for the self-interest of those whom we trust. I suggest reading Dr John Biffa's 'Escape the Diet Trap' recently promoted in The Times.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  7 Sep 2007
Latest post:  6 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.