on 4 October 2013
Downton Abbey was not the type of Program I would normally watch on TV, but seen it just near the end of Serious 2, and got hooked, I missed a big part of 3, due to not knowing it was on, then they changed it to STV for 4, so thought I would record it on the Cable Box and watch in one go, but was so wanting to see the rest, then, brain wave, send for it from Amazon, so I could watch all 3 when on Holiday on the 5th, but got an email-mail to say it was displaced on the 2nd and would be here for the 7th,,, I GOT IT JUST NOW THE 4th, So AMAZON, MY HOLIDAY WILL BE SPENT WATCHING DOWNTON ABBEY, but they might not have a DVD player on the TV in the Lodge I have booked, well taking my 12inch TV with freebies and DVD. Thank You Amazon, tried to leave feedback but can't.
Managed to sell it for £23.40 after I watched the 4 CDs I had missed, so got what I wanted and hope the person that got this item enjoyed it as much as I did. Last of serious 4 is on this Sunday, what will we do until 5 comes out......
on 12 October 2014
Of course the story line is very gripping and everyone who has seen it finds it addictive I think. However, these discs do not seem to me to be very easy to follow as to whether I have seen the whole disc or is there another episode lurking there> I made that mistake when I changed discs only to find that the story had jumped forward too much. I then changed discs back again and after some shuffling found the next episode. I do think the opening menu could be clearer, and we could be brought back to a clear menu to choose the next episode. Even with the second menu of 'screens' it is hard to know which ones have already been watched.
on 10 July 2014
Great Blu-Ray quality, nice extra content, wonderful series, great acting, attractive characters and beautiful costumes and attention to period fashion detail, all in all a very nice high quality and a very good value box-set package. But such a pity the writers and producers so blatantly used the series as a vehicle to showcase nitpicking historically revisionist politically correct issues (such as 'forced right-handedness') and also as Trojan Horse propaganda to promote the social acceptability of homosexual relationships in the run-up to the readings of the parliamentary bill on same-sex marriage in Britain. I wonder how much money passed under the table from the homosexual lobbyists to the series' producers and broadcasters? I felt betrayed, and have therefore not bothered to watch the following series, let alone purchase it.
on 12 October 2013
I was new to Downton Abbey when I bought this box set but I thought it would be the kind of programme which I would enjoy. And little did I know how much I would love this programme. So well written, acted and set in such beautiful surroundings. It is so lovely to watch something with no swear words, no shooting, no-one getting angry but just a lovely story about relationships and an insight into early 20th century life. I must warn you if you think you might like this kind of TV then be prepared for getting nothing done because you will be addicted. :) It is a shame it doesn't contain the second Christmas special (a journey to the highlands) so I had to buy that separately in order to be fully caught up to the current series. Lovely, lovely series, you won't regret getting hooked.
on 1 November 2013
Bought this for Winter evening viewing as we live in Italy. We were looking for some more period drama after watching the magnificent Foyle's War series (about 3 times over!), and this series suits the bill very well. The acting is very good, the setting is simply amazing, and my wife rather likes it as the setting reminds her of when she worked for one of the National Trust's large properties. It is often witty, amusing and as the various plots thicken, we are becoming more compelled to watch the next one!
on 18 January 2013
Downton Abbey is a superb and lavish production with many scenes at the splendid Highclear Castle .
The casting is excellent above and below stairs . There are wonderful human relationships and scenes of tenderness , love and deep emotion . There are great roles for most of the cast , who give wonderful performances . Most of the cast are new faces to me .
The Great Maggie Smith , I know from before , Jim Cartet too and briefly Hugh Bonneville from his small part in the film Notting Hill . The Earl of Grantham is a lifetime gift of a starring role for a leading actor , superbly played by Hugh Bonneville .
Downton Abbey is an amazing , rambling story depicting the social structure of life in the early 20th century in a vast Victorian mansion . It is visually splendid and beautiful , the costumes are magnificent , it is totally absorbing to watch and some scenes are very moving . I have one or two criticisms , having myself grown up in a slightly lesser stately home . The story has a few loose ends that don't tie up. To me , the social changes after WWI seem more consistent with those following WWII . The smoking below stairs I am sure is wrong . I do not believe that staff below stairs smoked at that time and certainly not the women .
Servants were payed very little money , though they were housed , clothed and everything found . I believe that smoking among working people started during WWII , when women were working in factories and men were serving in the military forces .
I would recommend Downton Abbey to anyone who enjoys a good Historical and costume drama in beautiful settings .
Having the boxed set , I am able to watch it again and again and am loving every moment .
on 13 February 2013
The up and downs of "upstairs' and 'downstairs' of an aristocrat English family and those that run their great house.

You may not love or even like all the characters (which is as it should be) but this a wonderful series, giving one an insight to the evolving life of the aristocracy of England in the 20th century.

The lynch pin for me (and for many I gather) is Dame Maggi Smith - whose plays Maggi Smith to perfection.

I await series 4 with bated breath
on 3 January 2013
I was very happy when I ordered this at £28. The following week it had gone up to £33.99!
I had missed quite a few episodes over the 3 series and had not seen the Christmas 2011 so it was great to watch from the beginning to end at my leisure, and it helped pass the time while I was in hospital.
I then passed it on to my mother and sister who thoroughly enjoyed it too. And we watched all the bonus features too!
Definitely worth having on DVD.
on 19 July 2013
There are many characters for you to 'root for' in this story, but the principal love affair that winds it's way through these three years is worth the wait - for the conclusion is a great high point, played out against the tremendous changes that occured from 1912 to 1920. Sumptuous costumes, great scenery and sets, and of course the 'Abbey' itself, are complimented by the fantastic actors and actresses in every role. I particularly like the great sense of morals and values that so many of the period players portray.
For me the end of the third season (and this package) was so good that I can't imagine anything that follows could compare...
on 13 February 2014
I would highly recommend this as a starter for anyone who is trying out Downton Abbey, having missed the series when they aired on ITV a few years ago. However, this box set is now quite out-of-date, as there have been 3 more series and 4 Christmas specials since this was released, and so purchasing the complete box set (see link below) might now be more appropriate if you are already a fan of Downton:(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Downton-Abbey-1--6-DVD/dp/B017BNDAXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473629258&sr=8-1&keywords=downton+abbey+complete+box+set)