Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 28 February 2012
Toby Forward's writing style skilfully and concisely paints his pictures in my imagination. Each book adds layers of light and shade to characters previously met or intrigues me with a new colourful one. There is humour, warmth, courage, excitement, plenty of magic, and some very gruesome bits.This book is darker than the other two, with some horrific moments. The story moves seamlessly along, weaving in sub plots, and scene changes, making links with and adding depth to previous characters with such accessible writing (I nearly said 'simple', but I'm sure it's far from that) that I found I'd read three or four chapters, when I promised I'd only read one before checking there were no beetles under the bed, and putting the light out. I have mixed feelings about buying the fourth book, because I know it will be the last and, although I have to know what happens next, I don't want to end my journey with these wonderful characters. However, I know I'll read them all again, just to check that I've linked all the pieces together. I would recommend this Quartet to anyone ( unless of a nervous disposition, or with a beetle phobia!)
on 23 February 2012
I'm not going to spoil anything for other readers by dropping even the tiniest of hints about what happens. Neither am I going to do the odious comparisonsd thing of "If you like the so-and-so books you'll love this" as it really wouldn't be fair on this series. Fresh, inventive and completely believable. If you haven't yet tried the Flaxfield books, you have a treat in store - go and order the whole lot now and you won't be disappointed. Every single one so far has been a riveting read, and I'm looking forward to the fourth one to see how everything turns out.