Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 June 2016
This book collects the artwork of Gustave Dore that he undertook for the deluxe, illustrated edition of the 1843 French translation of the 'Vulgate Bible' popularly known as the 'Bible de Tours'. It consists of 241 images (of the original wood engravings) made by Dore. These images are intended to express the story told in the Bible. Dore's work was highly successful, making him one of the most celebrated artists of the 19th century.

Each major events and each important character of the Bible is illustrated. The artwork is graphic, highly detailed, imaginative and brilliant. It presents a bold complement to the Old and New Testament stories. If you enjoy this particular style of art, and are interested in more by Dore, then I recommend both Doré's Illustrations for "Paradise Lost" (Dover Fine Art, History of Art) and The Doré Illustrations for Dante's Divine Comedy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 August 2012
Dore must be considered one of the supreme illustrators of all time; I say illustrator rather than artist because of his ability to take the written word and produce a satifying image from it.
Most of us can conjure up pictures from words but the sheer scale and variety of his visions and the fertility of his imagination is only matched by the sheer quantity of his output.
I wont bother going into details about the contents of this book because one look at his idea of the celestial host or the apocalypse will force you to buy it.
on 4 June 2014
I originally bought this book years ago but lost it , so I was very pleased to get hold of a copy again .
Being a fan of Biblical stories this book with illustrations by Gustave Dore is superb especially those taken from the Old Testament . I was given an old family bible by my grandmother which was illustrated by Gustave Dore which I still have , so it is great to have those illustrations in a seperate volume .
on 6 February 2017
I love art by Gustav Dore and this adds to my collection.
on 16 July 2010
This is a good teaching tool
I have used it for talking about the Easter story