on 21 March 2017
As an introduction to the idea of doodle stitching this has more projects in it than the art of doodle stitching so it feels that it's a little directional rather then teaching a new form.
on 4 May 2010
I like the simple way this is laid out, and the way it has simple projects which I personally would use as inspiration rather than carry out exactly. It seems to encourage you to freestyle rather than use old-fashioned prescribed methods, and the modern method appeals to me much more. I'd recommend this for beginners and dabblers and perhaps young people - I am a dabbler. If you want to be a dyed-in-the-wool old-fashioned embroidery person then this might not be the best book.
2 people found this helpful
on 11 December 2011
This is a great book for beginners. I had not embroidered anything in my life but the book covered the basics very well. There are also a number of examples that you can make, but I've just used them for inspiration so far - the whole point of the book is to go out and make your own.

I highly recommend this book for beginners. I can't comment on how intermediate/advanced embroiders would find it but for me it was great. After I was done reading it I felt I could definitely re-create the front of the book picture if I wanted.
on 11 October 2015
I.love this book I've recently become a huge fan of Aimee's work it's such a refreshing change . I'm very new to embroidery and I've been waiting for something modern as old style embroidery left me cold
High recommended
on 6 May 2012
Daughters comment.
This book is fabulous. It teaches you the basic stitches that you need to create a variety of effects with clear precise pictures and text. Nicely structured book. It covers the materials needed to create your own embroidery and gives you samples of what you can make.
Overall an excellent book for a beginner like myself to embroidery.
on 1 August 2011
I bought this book because I liked the cover. However It was not what I was expecting. I would have liked it to have concentrated more on embroidery designs and less on the projects, which are a little dated. Perhaps it would appeal to a child wanting to start this craft, it does give good clear instructions on embroidery stitches.
2 people found this helpful
on 11 July 2012
This is a nice book with pretty projects. However if you are buying it for an absolute novice like me then the intro section on the different stitches will not be clear enough to get you started. I would suggest going onto You Tube and watching some of the excellent demos people have uploaded e.g.' Mary Corbert' has a clear voice and great camera work
on 1 January 2016
It's ok but wouldn't recommend if your looking for lots of patterns, the other two books in the series have more patterns if that's what you are looking for.
on 24 September 2016
Enjoyed this, and now have to get cracking to put it to good use. Really like the whole collection of doodles.
on 10 February 2018
Thanks to this book I can now do French Knots, something I've been trying to figure out since I was 16 and I'm 40 now!. Nice clear instructions and pretty designs.