on 20 June 2012
I real thought provoking book. Was in good condition and arrived in excellent time. Would recommend it to anyone with confidence issues or with a major life change.
on 28 April 2008
I've read a lot of self help books, I've read a lot of "professional" clinical psychology books, but rarely have I come across something as accessible and as beneficial as this book. Gary has laid out clear and positive methods for making improvements to your life, in common sense, and in plain English PLUS the ideas are "workable". Like all self help books, if you don't follow the advice then you won't gain anything, however, this title is a lot easier to follow. Certainly miles ahead of some of the nonsense the consumer has had to endure such as The Law Of Attraction....
on 11 April 2008
No question this book is about empowerment! There's no mystery to where the tools and techniques come from. Dr Gary Wood tells you WHY they work with great clarity and humour. I like the focus on solutions (rather than problems) and on personal strengths (rather than weaknesses)and how we can build on the natural inclinations that we all have and how we can transform even negative traits into something useful.I really love his idea of 'positive worrying' and how we can create positive pictures and self talk that builds us up rather than weighs us down. Don't Wait For Your Ship To Come In. . .Swim Out To Meet It! uses an amazing array of water-based analogies to get the points across. I particularly like 'Waterwings and Concrete Galoshes' to describe how we verbally sabotage ourselves. Overall, it's perfect balance between theory and practice. It certainly does raise the game in terms of what we are used to in self-help books. It'll make you laugh too. And I really like the way the book goes the extra mile. There's a great further reading and resources section and lots of fun extras. Finally, Dr Gary's two-minute stress-buster is so simple, but surprisingly effective. For me, this really is the definitive self-help book!
on 25 April 2008
Working through this book I have already gained insights into what I need to do to make a bigger splash in life. Discovering my values and strengths has been a revelation as I now know how to link these to my goals. It seems so obvious now it's been pointed out. I'm wondering why other self help books haven't made this connection. There's a real sense with this book that all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. There are loads of exercises, balanced with just enough theory clearly explained. It's well laid-out, as thought-provoking as the author's previous book Sex, Lies and Stereotypes and just as much fun. It definitely does what it says on the tin and it may sound shallow but I like the cover too!
on 10 April 2008
Wow! That's all I'd like to say really but feel I should explain. This generous volume promises to reach the parts that other self-help books fail to reach and so far it's delivered on that promise. It's packed full of quizzes and exercises but where it really stands out from the rest is that psychologist Dr Gary Wood actually takes the time to explain why the tools and techniques work. So, at the turn of every page I feel as though I've learned something and feel better empowered to put things into practice. There's great warmth to this book and quite a few laugh-out-loud moments and you really get the sense that this is someone who really loves what he does. However as entertaining as it is Don't Wait For Your Ship To Come In. . .Swim Out To Meet It, is really a call to action and it provides ample opportunity to do just that. The book offers the essential ingredients for personal development as Gary Wood pinpoints what really works. So far the book is really working for me. I have to admit that I'm a bit of a self-help book junkie but this book pushes the boat out and offers something new. I, for one, am hooked. You will be, too.
on 7 August 2008
Really enjoyed this book. Packed with lots of practical tools and exercises and psychological insights. Left me with a real buzz as I face the future. Highly recommended
on 14 September 2008
I do not subscribe to this work being miles ahead of The Law of Attraction, as the themes of insight and ownership have been well covered by other books already out there. It certainly does rank alongside clinical psychology books, as those books are on the heavy side and not something I would consider to be in the realms of self-improvement books. This book is an average self-help book, as you do need to apply the advice within if you are to gain something. There are just too many exercises to follow. How this fits in with the author's other book entitled `Sex, Lies and Stereotypes' makes the mind boggle! Sorry, this book did not launch my boat!