Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

Don't Kill Snails with Salt 4

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 20 May 2012 12:05:59 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Yes, I guessed prices would be higher on IOW, LMA. It had risen to around £1.39 ish keenest, but then the Supermarkets entered into a price war. Our cheapest (a supermarket right by motorway junction) is currently 132.7p litre. Costs me c. £68 to fill tank, but usually call a halt at £60. We were trying to guess how long it's been since fuel was at Grach's price. Possibly 20 years?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 01:39:33 BDT
Watching HPOOP. Getting ready for 3rd ep of "Sherlock". woot!.

I wish we had more trains or buses here. Greyhound has continually cut the routes. we don't have passenger rail between most major cities in-state, some from state-to-state. Amtrak cuts the number of runs. big cities like D.C., Chicago, Boston, NY and a few others have undergrounds or Chicago's El. I have a 14 mile drive to work. If we had trains, I'd take them. North Dakota has a large oil reserve, Texas still has oil. If Obama'd get a brain, fuel prices would decrease and we'd have a better job market. N Dakota has a major job boom as they have started the drilling and refinery building process. I have severely decreased the amount of driving I do. It used to cost around $63.00 to fill Oliver's 20gal tank, Clarkson gets better mileage but has a smaller tank. Lower payments for the vehicle and lower fuel costs will help a great deal.
Eric's final band concert was tonight. The kids did a wonderful job.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 15:49:20 BDT
seriously last week was so cold and wet i had to put the heating on and this week is glorious and i've got 4 loads of washing dry outside - WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE WEATHER?

don't want to complain too much - enjoying the sunshine :)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 13:25:16 BDT
Sunny and hot today. have the air conditioning on. 30C for a high. grrr.
day off and payday so here I sit paying bills. gonna go to library and get Downton Abbey dvd set. i was supposed to have 5 days aff as it's Memorial Day weekend, BUT! the tech whose call weekend this is, well, injured her elbow so is off work for several weeks. the rest of us now cancelled half of our plans to divide the on-call hours.well, two of us did, the third refuses and insists that she has important plans and can't break them because it's family. So WERE mine. some people's kids.
ah well, now I'll sit at home and watch Downton Abbey. woohoo. party like a rock star.

enjoy the lovely weather! have a Potter Day!

Posted on 24 May 2012 22:44:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2012 22:44:41 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Am still exam invigilating at present. Poor kids were wilting in the humid temps this afternoon. Some were still wearing jumpers and blazers sat at their desks. My phone reckoned the temp was 23°C, but it felt hotter outside.

LMA: just to depress you further, the supermarkets around here have started a price war with fuel. Sainsbury's lowered their price on unleaded to 129.9p per litre and huge constant queues built up for it on Monday. Today I noticed the local Asda had dropped their price to 129.7p.

Grach: enjoy Downton Abbey.

Lina: hope all's going well with 'the bump' - must be getting close, now.

40th anniversary of our local Spaghetti Junction, today. Opened 24th May, 1972, when I was at college.

Posted on 24 May 2012 22:53:37 BDT
P. Cobb says:
The London Olympics has big build-up at present, here. The arrival of the 'flame' has led to a massive hype with relayed runners taking it all over Britain. It arrived in our neck of the woods today. They arranged for it to be taken on the Severn Valley steam preservation line between Bridgnorth and Kidderminster. While en route, the train passes the perimeter of a Safari Park that has a great view of the animal reserves. It had been arranged by the Safari Park that 2 of their elephants would greet the train as it passed by waving Union flags in their trunks! It worked a treat, absoflaggin' amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 23:48:15 BDT
Saw your Ellies on the TV, PC... :)
The torch is coming through West Wight on 14th July on its way to the other Channel Isles... I don`t know how many crowds it will get here... :)
Filled up Voldy today at Sainsbury`s & the price is down there too.. but only to 139p/litre!... must be the price of living on an island!
Had the first practical of my bee keeping course today ... the bees seem to like me , they behaved, anyway ... no stings!
My hive arrived in flat pack the other day too .. so will soon have the bees installed...:)

The weather down here is amazing too, Lil... it`s gone from winter to summer literally overnight, just warm enough for you, Grach... low to mid twenties not up into the 30`s

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 11:11:35 BDT
The Olympic Flame is coming to Cupar Fife on the 12th June, going to take the Kids to see it :)

The Elephants waving the Union Flags must have been some sight, wish i could have seen it.

Am loving the weather M-A, it's glorious. Although not so good when fencing, they were all baking in their kit. Made sure they drank plenty of liquid.

Looking forward to the weekend, suprisingly we're all at home.

Posted on 25 May 2012 19:31:10 BDT
P. Cobb says:
The Midlands has a couple of bites of the cherry re the Olympic flame: first was yesterday as already mentioned where it then contunued into Wales. It then goes all over the place, including N Ireland, Bonnie Scotland and Northern England before returning to Midlands and our doorstep c. 29/30 June. Thence dahn Sahrf to get LMA jogging in her white tracksuit, before it arrives, all burnt out, in London.

Forgot to say, the radio reckoned that 40 years ago, when Spaghetti Junction opened, petrol (full leaded at that time) was 35p per GALLON, or c. 8p per litre!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 12:41:03 BDT
Olympic torch-saw Matt Smith carry in Cardiff!

Eric graduated high school Friday last. Now we have the six week countdown to his departure to Navy boot camp. *sniff*. so proud, and sad.Once he leaves for boot, he will be gone but for leave-time for at least five years. Boot camp will be a good experience for him. Unless he takes an arrow to the knee, he will undergo a change in maturity. WOOT.

Thanks to all veterans present and past this Memorial Day weekend.

Posted on 27 May 2012 12:51:38 BDT
Taking a brief break from work to echo your Prayer to honour all veterans. - and to tender profound approval and to congratulate Eric on his decision - he will come back as a Warrior

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 22:29:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 May 2012 22:29:43 BDT
Well done Eric on your graduation, & make the most of your 6 weeks holiday... don`t suppose leave will give you that much time off.

Pony show today... it went off very well .... couldn`t miss with this beautiful weather.... we had lots of entries, but I`m worn out now!!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 01:39:39 BDT
whee for pony show! Eric is starting countdown-40 sleeps until boot camp. *gulp* I have occasional, brief, necessary sniveling fits. Can't let the boy see, though. Must maintain stiff upper lip.
Hannah comes home for summer Friday. still hasn't found a job yet. *sigh* she keeps applying for things, no bites yet.

Later, everysnail!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 09:59:51 BDT
Hopefully she will find something soon Granny, fingers are crossed.
hugs you will both get through boot camp fine.

Good job the pony show was when it was MA this week has not been nice.

Hoping for nice weather tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2012 23:41:08 BDT
holy snails everysnail! where are you?? i've been working weird shifts and on call. I miss everysnail.
i need updates. how are all y'all?

ponies doing well? kids? parents? the weather here is heading skyward...32C on Saturday> ick.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 02:13:05 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Well, I'm still here, Grach. Just sheltering from our torrential, mega-wet early 'summer'!

Did you get to see any of our Jubilee celebrations last weekend? The Spring Bank Holiday was put back by a week and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee day was tagged on to give a 4-day extended weekend.

We watched the Thames pageant on Sunday on TV and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just felt so much for the organisers - all the work put into it and it hissed down for a chunk of it. Pageant ended with R. Phil. Orchestra on a boat and a group of singers up top open to the elements - they were satturated through to their unmentionables, yet they still continued to give their singing some wellie.

We then watched the concert broadcast from outside the Palace on Moday. It ended with her Maj lighting a beacon. There were 4,000 of these lit all over UK to coincide at around 10-10.30pm. I checked the website for the nearest to us, and there was one on top of the hills close by, although they didn't go into explicit details of the location. 10 years ago, for her golden Jubilee, there was a similar beacon up there, so we guessed they'd use the same beacon - a thick wooden post surmounted with a metal basket/brazier. It was on an open area of the hills not possible to build on, although it is otherwise a built-up housing area. Over 10 years, however, we'd forgotten the exact location.

The concert over ran, so at 11.40 we shot out to experience the beacon lighting and arranged to meet bro in an approx location. We couldn't find it, then wifey read that it was a 'non-public event'! We asked someone for directions then drove back and forth passing bro doing the same. Eventually, I tried one side road (a cul de sac) and arrived at a barrier blocking the road with signs on warning to keep access clear that evening. Bingo! We'd found it. Let Bro know where it was, parked and walked past barrier in pitch dark, across a grassed area and there was the beacon silhouetted against the sky - in darkness. A ladder against it and workmen messing about implied they were struggling to get it lit, so asked them, as bro and sis-in-law turned up - we were the only saps there. They had lit it at 10.15, let it burn for 1 hour while we were driving around, and extinguished it at 11.15. It was by now 11.25!

Apparently the Mayor had been there for the lighting. Talk about cost-cutting! 1 measly hour to 'acknowledge' the borough's participation in a nation-wide event! No wonder it was a non-public event! Then they could go back and declare that our borough 'had taken part in the national event'.

10 years ago there were a sizeable group gathered, and it was a beacon made of wood within the brazier, so it burnt until dead. This time they used gas cylinders to feed carefully positioned burners in the brazier. So, after an hour they turned it off, loaded up their truck - and left. And the mayor had long since gone!

Boy, did we feel cheated.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 08:02:51 BDT
I have been mad busy - the Grandson got himself engaged - aww - to the sweetest little lass and I am making - hand sewing / embroidering household linen tablecloths and like that y'know and a couple cushion covers in line - to be fixed when the present tablecloth is done.
We are getting mountain weather here - you know I suppose that mountain weather is so changeable - wait about 20 minutes and it goes all the other way entirely.
At the present time - round eight o'clock it is chilly cloudy - I am sure I got a glimpse of the Sun just a moment ago - smirking behind a cloud - I have a dislike for hot weather.
Paul what about that beacon - what a rotten swizz - I would have thought his washup the Mayor could have done a BIT BETTER than that
Sending my best to everysnail - Patti the Seamstress - where dat machine !!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 11:23:37 BDT
i agree with Patricia the becon sage was a swizz.
The kids had a grand day at school and were allowed to dress up in red white and blue and they had a street party. Loved every minuet.

Got tickets booked for the Zoo, going to see the Panda's in July :)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 17:39:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 17:42:51 BDT
Loads of things going on here for the jubilee.... the kids in the school next door had a big party on the playing field on Friday...
Freshwater village bagged Saturday ... loads of kids sports, stalls of all sorts, teas & Cakes, & a great falconry demo... fortunately the rain had already passed over here Friday night...... Saw lots of the river pageant on the tv though ... it was such a shame about the weather... David had made a canopy for one of the traditional boats a couple of weeks ago... I bet they were glad of it!!
Freshwater Bay bagged Sunday & they had lots of competitions for art, photography, poetry short, stories etc. as they have a history of famous bods that lived there... Tennyson etc. ... plus tea set out on the prom & a hog roast on the beach... good thing they had good weather too!!
Saw the concert on tv ... it was great... though the oldies have definitely lost their voices... with the exception of Tom Jones ..
Had a look to see if our beacon on Tennyson down had been lit,... but all was dark... I don`t think it was lit for the other jubilees either ... just the 400th centenary of the Armada, & the Millennium... it`s a long way to tote all the wood!!
Monday was a complete washout!

Finished my Bee course last week & David made my hive up on Monday.... must get it treated or painted this w/e so I can get a swarm of bees

The weather on the whole has been horrendous lately though, & although it`s been relatively warm & sunny today the wind is blowing the trees almost horizontal & there`s leaves & branches everywhere!!

Hope allsnails are ok ... Hurrah for pandas... :) .....the tablecloth sounds pretty, Patti... congratulations to your Grandson.....Hope all is well with your family, PC ... including Ma & Pa...... Grach ... hope Eric is enjoying his pre join-up leave, & hope Hannah has managed to find a holiday job
Better go & cook dinner now.... TTFN

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2012 01:49:01 BDT
We watched the Thames pageant Sunday morning. It was lovely. I have the greatest respect for HRH and Prince Philip. They are so kind and TOUGH! Holy cats they stood for hours and HRH in heels. The oldsters around here need endurance lessons. If I start whinging I try and channel the Queen. she is amazing.

no job for Hannah yet. she keeps filling out apps. uni will start up again soon. I have her doing housework in prep for rodeo and Eric's party. I'm gonna pay her, don't worry. :)

glad everysnail enjoyed the Jubilee festivities. The rain will cease and the sun will shine.

Posted on 10 Jun 2012 12:01:17 BDT
P. Cobb says:
It is today, Grach - now that the festivities are over!

The fox and her cubs are still around. The cubs are now growing and taking independant forage missions. I'm convinced they had burrowed under my shed.

Funny thing was our youngest had NEVER seen a fox. While driving, he always has his head down in a DS.
"FOX!" we yell as one runs across our path. "Too late," we'd add as he reluctantly lifts his head.
"There's a fox!" as another runs into a garden. "Too late again."
"Wow! That was a fox," as another nearly runs under our wheels. "Where?" "Too late."

Yesterday, went into our kitchen and a fox was curled up basking on our overgrown lawn. I called the lad. By the time he arrived in the kitchen, the wary animal had risen and slunk off. I'm sure he thought we were pulling his leg - until a bit later when one of the cubs appeared. I called the lad again, more quietlt - and he saw his first one. "Ahhhh, isn't it cute." "Tell that to people who lose their chickens or pet rabbits to them." Then a second cub arrived followed by the mangy vixen. You wait ages for a bus then 3 come at the same time...

Posted on 10 Jun 2012 12:40:16 BDT
The number 11 down Fleet Street - is known as the Banana Bunch Route - you can wait and wait ..... then it has been known for 5 to come all at the once

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2012 15:37:35 BDT
about as bad as semi rural scotland, we have 2 trains an hour but they both arrive within 5 min of each other and the buses - well who knows? and it would take me forever to get anywhere

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2012 22:50:06 BDT
Saw the Olympic Torch procession today, interesting seeing all the vehicle procession and of course the Runners :)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2012 23:38:20 BDT
for me, the nearest passenger train depot is Milwaukee, couple hour drive away. nearest bus station is an hour away. by car.

we have foxes along the river bottom along with deer and sandhill cranes, the occasional turkey.

i wish I could see the torch run. that'd be sweet! i wonder what the Ministry of Magic is doing to handle the chaos and confusion created by all the Muggles?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  1750
Initial post:  24 Mar 2012
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J.K. Illustrations by Mary GrandPre. Rowling (Hardcover - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,576)