Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now

Don't Kill Snails with Salt 4

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 23:33:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2012 23:34:08 BDT
It certainly is... Billy`s brought 3 in already ... but he does`t waste any ...just the caecum & a bit of fur left.... :-/ ... saves on tinned food!!!

I take it you`re all thoroughly fed up with chocolate by now... ;)... & have had a happy Easter

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012 00:53:22 BDT
it's duck season! wabbit season! duck season! wabbit season!
weather's gone a bit cold, below freezing at night. waiting to see if the blossoms will survive.

luuurve the chocolate. yummy! Hershey's is making air-bubble Kisses. similar to the Aero bars I've gotten from the World Market. mmmmmmmmmm.

Panda n-o-r-p? egad. poor bamboo shoot chomping buggers.

Eric had to bake a cake for his Navy meeting tomorrow. hehehehehe. cataclysmic cake, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012 09:43:19 BDT
Hi M-A and Granny, times like this i'm glad i don't have a god and my cats too stupid to bring in anything other than twigs. Although he did bring me a catapillar once though......seriously Kenobi has no brains!

Not much chocolate in this house a youngling is intolarent to cocoa :(
Haribo and marshmallows galore.

Hersheys air bubble sounds like it could be really good Granny :) I love aero especially the mint ones.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 10:30:19 BDT
Hello Jedi Lilly I like the idea of your Cat - Kenobi bringing a "gift" to you - I would share with you the story of my Tabby - the Scourge of Mousedom - he fetched me a small rat that had been lurking in the "Coal Bin" - the Cat laid the "treasure" at my feet and looked up with such love - I reached down with a Kleenex and scooped up the blood spattered corpse and said "Oh thanks Lovely-Boy I'll have it later for tea"
I mean - like I cared!!! I had caused an uproard of comments of horror and disguse in the sitting room - "How could you say such a thing" - well I would say - a gift is a gift - no matter what - I could not "Rat him out"

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 11:29:37 BDT
Hi snailies! Just thought i'd pop in and see DKSWS 4!

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 12:31:31 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Pop in more often, Alli!

Local radio were suggesting a recipe for left over creme eggs; wrap the egg in puff pastry and pop in oven for a spell to give a choccy croissant! Sounds like desecration of creme eggs to me.

Shame I can't and won't touch the stuff any longer. Mind you, it's chewy sweets I miss more so. Pastiles, wine gums, jelly babies and the like! Still, it leaves more for the rest of you!

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 12:55:43 BDT
Jelly Babies - I used to bite off their heads- the Devil made me do it

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 13:32:30 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Like Enola, you have LIVED, Patti!

Didn't you like the drunk ones? Leaving some legless?

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 14:40:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Apr 2012 15:21:15 BDT
I left the legs till last - so they could stand like the legs of Pharoah Ozymandias - in the Desert - in memory of the Pharoahs vast and trunkless legs of stone.
Should you like the Poem - I'll find it - "My name is Ozymandias King of Kings.......
http://holyjoe.org/poetry/shelley.htm

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 16:50:18 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Patti: did you have anything to do with the state of the statue of the Venus de Milo?

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 17:03:04 BDT
No Sir - not Guilty she is only an 'armless maid - and a Goddess - did you find the Poem - Now Take care - or the CSI will look into this

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 18:05:02 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Yes, read the pome - now got to leg it myself, wifey in hospital, as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012 18:08:30 BDT
Patricia lol i don't think Kenobi would know what to do with a mouse or a rat. He does sit on the windosill and 'laugh' at the birds though.

P.Cobb - sounds like a fun way to make croissant :)

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 18:25:44 BDT
Golly - s'all happenning to you and your family - now you are all in my best thoughts
I am thinking them right now

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2012 02:56:12 BDT
argh PC! i hope your wife gets better soonest.
Sirius watches birds out the window. he doesn't even try to catch flies.

hannah bought me jelly babies for Midwinter. yummy. Cadbury creme eggs are divine. my 44 year old teeth are starting to be a bit sensitive to sweets. i can't stop eating them. :)

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 10:47:25 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Knee op yesterday. they want to kick her out today - need bed. She immobile. If they want to kick mater out as well, something will have to give - can't deal with both in separate locations. Wifey requires a more severe op as soon as they feel she will be ready.

Making the most of the calm before the storm, before I get the call to 'come and get me'!!! She on crutches -and loo is upstairs! Fun times ahead!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 20:59:43 BDT
PC ... sounds as if 2012 just isn`t your year... hope your wife is soon on the mend. Best wishes to her ... it`s jolly inconvenient to be on crutches but the physio`s do teach you how to manoever up & down stairs ... or they did me after the hip op. However I was kept in for several days due to low blood pressure .... quite a giggle .. they kept putting me on a drip & I kept trying to explain I`ve always had low blood pressure... eventually they gave up & sent me home!

Bill & George very seldom catch birds either ... they don`t seem to like coping with the feathers . they will occasionally take a bloated pigeon that`s gorged itself on my cabbages, though ... I suppose there`s a fair bit of meat on one of those.
However I do keep bells on their collars to warn the little birds

I see JKR has written a new book due out in the autumn apparently !! Wonder what it will be like!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 23:03:31 BDT
ooooh, is there a release date? i'm intrigued.

Knees are a bear I must say. They wear out. I do hope she heals quickly.

MA, how is the tin (titanium) hip? no problems? Luce doing well? ponies happy?

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 23:28:58 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Thanks all. Took her to docs for dressing change and carried on to hospital to see mater.

In 3 days I haven't been able to go, they have taken the opportunity to throw her out of her room and put her in a wardette. Very distressing; she was sat on the bed crying. She didn't know who I was, who she was, where she was, what she was doing there, what was wrong with her. She just said she wanted to go home - though didn't know where home was. Something had happened to her. I went to see ward staff for some answers. They said her room was needed for another patient with infection, and mom had only gone as she was since lunchtime. Summoned bro and his wife in. Very distressing. They called in a doc to see her. Tested her water and she had an infection sending her confused. They have started her on antibiotics. She said some revealing and hurtful things in her confused state; she's very headstrong. I'm certain their moving her contributed to how she was - and possibly my not being able to visit for a few days.

2012 not being my year, LMA? There's still 7 and half months of it left!!! God help us!

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 23:47:35 BDT
THis is just terrible Paul I cannot see how they could be so callous - they did not regard her wishes one bit - I hate to see people sidelined - now it seems her resistance to infections may have been lowered by the distress of being shuttled around like a Supermarket Trolley - and with just as little respect.
I am wondering if that question could be raised with her Doctor

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 09:13:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Apr 2012 09:14:45 BDT
PC... have found the same symptoms with my mum on several occasions it seems to happen with age. I now know to go straight to the local doc for antibiotics... after spending until the early hours in A&E with her one day after finding her collapsed on the bathroom floor.
Glad the missus is up & about

Grach ... I don`t have any more info about the JKR book... it was just a line or two on the opening page of the Beeb`s website
Tin hip is doing fine.. (fingers crossed) I did my back in earlier in January, & persuaded the doc to send me for x-ray on it to make sure it wasn`t that collapsing. It was fine , so I got sent for an extended course to an osteopath at the sports centre ... he tracked it down to me wearing wellies to lift & carry for the ponies ... you can`t get wellies with built up soles so I was unlevel & that twisted the spine... Seems I have a choice of wet feet or a twisted back ... lol ... still there`s all summer to work on finding built up wellies... pity they made my new hip longer really... still ... if it works ...!! :)

No probs with Luce Toby or the ponies... I have Toby 2or 3 days a week as Luce is back at work, but they`re very fair & she can work from home a good bit, & he loves being here with the "dod" & "tats"

Hope all is ok with you Patti

How are the girls, Lil... are you managing to keep them amused being as you seem to be back in winter up there

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 09:20:59 BDT
Me I'm fine - sorting out bills and paying the swine - and finding there is still some left for treats - I love the sound of little toby - enjoying the company of Dod and Tats - he is getting a nice education - appreciating animals at so young an age
For the wellies - I am absolutely sure - I wish I knew the name of them - there are little cushion pad thingos - and you can wear them in boots - shoes - wellies - I believe Scholl's make them and they seem to be filled with a jelly-like substance - they might have the effect that the heel is raised somewhat - is that what is needed - sorry to be so vague but try a chemist they may help

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 09:59:14 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Sounds like you'll be toting for the ponies in flip-flops, LMA, or stuffing the wellies with straw! Tho' better suggestion is hunting for some ortho insoles. A foot clinic do it a little more scientifically, however, by checking how you walk in bare feet, first. No 2 son had insoles cut to fit due to plantar fasciitis, and he is supposed to transfer them to EVERY item of footwear he uses.

Patti: "I am wondering if that question could be raised with her Doctor"
Basically, they want her OUT of the ward. She was admitted with a serious condition which they have addressed, but she wasn't 'right' so we raised concerns. On further investigation, they found it to be related to a medication issue which is nearing normal, but not yet there. Out concurrent concerns relate to her being sent home when she will NOT cope. Hospital don't really consider that a medical issue, but a social worker one. Hospital really want the bed. She seems to be left by docs as a low priority now, and I can understand that serious cases must come first. A doc came to her eventually yesterday because the sudden relapse was of concern. I DID raise the topic of her being moved from her room, but their stance is that the single bed side rooms are for patients who have infections to contain it from spreading further, which can lead to ward closures; and mom doesn't have an infection any longer. Therefore she was moved and didn't have a say in it - then, of course, it transpires that she DOES have an infection, tho' hopefully not a contagious one.

LMA: "have found the same symptoms with my mum on several occasions it seems to happen with age."
We have had to deal with her continually in and out of being 'ga-ga' (as she words it herself) and lucid, and we automatically suspect infection - usually chest. However, yesterday was the first time she greeted me with "Who are you?" and I suspected it was her making a sarcastic point about my not visiting for 3 days, initially. However, it became apparent that she was nigh on delirious and very confused. Will have to see if antibiotics are helping today - but the staff have an issue with dealing with a crabby woman who is insulting, offensive, bloody minded - and upset as she can't understand why she is there or what is happening to her.

Mind you, it doesn't help as I have started to grow a beard over past 2 weeks, so yesterday she stared at me hard and said "I don't know you!" But should I get rid of it just to help her state of mind, or should I leave that to the antibiotics???

Anyways, re JKR. I wonder whether she should have released her new book under a pseudonym to let it stand in its own right, as opposed to people thinking it will be Harry all growed up. But then again, its all about sales and her publisher doubtless would not allow that...

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 10:19:59 BDT
You are having a double helping Paul - I am sending well wishes and very best thoughts to you and the Missus - there has to be something good to come from all this
I think it must be horrible for the Doctors to sort their priorities, I am actually wondering about them - they are being forced to prioritise and I doubt if they want THAT sort of thankless taSK

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 12:04:38 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Triple, Patti. There is still Pater who is now home and is really being ignored because of all the rest that is going on. Thankfully he is doing stuff for himself, but really he needs a more watchful eye kept on him.

Were I in a full time job at present, well...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  1694
Initial post:  24 Mar 2012
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J.K. Illustrations by Mary GrandPre. Rowling (Hardcover - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,552)