Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 March 2017
grandson loves it
on 4 September 2017
This is my 2 years daughter's favourite book.
on 30 July 2017
Lovely book for young kids.
Hello, new favourite picture book! To be fair, I think I say that every time, but each one I read is so fun and always has brilliant illustrations. Angie Rozelaar's are no exception, and I now want a little colourful monster of my own. It's a good job I can't buy all these fictional people I become attached to because I'd need a new house!

This little monster wants to be anything but sweet. He wants to be scary, big, slimy and messy - the exact opposite of small and cuddly. He tries his best to achieve his goals, even making bug eye stew and stomping through mud. If there's a way to be naughty, he'll do it!

Smriti Prasadam-Halls has followed I Love You Night and Day with another great rhyming picture book, all about a young monster who wants to grow up before his time. It shows that, yes, adulthood can be fun (and scary) but being little is so much better - you get to play and run through mud without a care in the world. I think little monster soon realises this when he encounters a genuinely SCARY monster!

I really enjoyed this picture book and would it in the top five I've read recently. Children's illustrators are so ahead of their game at the moment, and each book they create is a new masterpiece to look at. Children these days are very, very lucky and I hope they get to read these truly wonderful books on offer!
This little monster IS sweet- with his scraggly blue hair and bright yellow eyes. But, he is not happy with all the cooing he gets for being a little cutie. Frustrated, he tries his best to be scary...until he meets an ogre who loves to eat little scary monsters!
Read my blogpost with photographs and a short video review here:http://missusbspicturebookreviews.blogspot.ie/2015/06/dont-call-me-sweet-this-little-monster.html
on 5 December 2016
This book is so great! My son brought it home from Nursery School, it was a free book given to him from Bookstart.org. This book is great, especially for my 3 year old and 1 year old boys. They love when I make a monster voice and the love the silly sounds we make when we read it. My 3 year old liked it so much he asked for it several times! When I read it first, my 1 year old sat on my lap while I read it and he roared at the pages and loved it. The illustrations are just wonderful, full of colour and detail. I especially love that it uses terms that are used in our region, for example they say 'tea' instead of 'dinner', which is fantastic. The verses are rhyming and flow so well. You can't help but fall in love with this adorable, hugable, lovable little monster! I highly recommend this book to anyone with monster loving children and I think it's great for all ages! We had so much fun reading this book and look forward to story time tomorrow!
on 18 July 2016
I have just read this book five nights in a row now so if that's not a good indication of a good book I don't know what is.
My boy is 3 and loves the monster. I guess partly because he can relate to it haha.
Lovely book, good length to read.
on 28 April 2017
The story is confusing for a 3 year old - the monster doesn't want to be called sweet, only scary. But then when a ogre wants to eat a scary monster he decides to call himself sweet and not scary.

My daughter is sheltered from crap in the world, so I had to explain why he would put bugs eyeballs in a stew and why some creatures like to eat other creatures. I totally understand that some parents will think it's fun and that kids will like it, but we didn't. It doesn't even flow nicely. My daughter looked a bit miffed and it's not a book we'll pick up again.
on 24 October 2014
My daughter (5) has fallen in love with this book and the little monster - it's very enjoyable, a great length for bedtime and has a great flow. Enjoy!
on 22 March 2016
My son just had this given him from pre school as part of the book trust and he loves it! Such a good story with lovely colourful pictures