Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£12.99|
Save £9.50 (73%)
Donald Dean VC Kindle Edition
|Length: 178 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The statistics speak for themselves: within eight weeks of Dean leaving cadet school, of an original 20, 18 were dead. The new daily reality was the Germans: across no man's land, a mere twenty feet away.
He was awarded the Victoria Cross "for most conspicuous bravery, skilful command and devotion to duty during the period 24th to 26th September 1918... he worked unceasingly with his men and repulsed attacks... he inspired his command with his own contempt of danger, and set an example of valorous leadership and devotion to duty of the very highest order."
After nineteen years spent as a volunteer Territorial Officer between the wars, in WW2 Dean was a Pioneer Commander, responsible for large numbers of serving men and civilians of all nationalities, who provided logistical support from stores and ammunition, building camps, roads, and bridges, to loading and unloading ships. These men were originally unarmed; but Dean ensured that his men were eventually provided with weapons. His care for his men and all those serving under him shines through; and if he seems at times to be proud of his achievements, he well deserved to be. He justifiably felt that the essential work of the Pioneers was unrecognised.Read more ›
Donald Dean was a quiet local hero who had an active 1st War in the trenches & His 2nd War was spent proving just how misunderstood was the role of the Pioneer Corps.
Hopefully, people who were somewhat ashamed of their relatives who served in the Pioneers will see that they should be proud rather than ashamed.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This was a really great read from start to finish.What a man was he had to be one of the most Decorated Soldiers of world war 1-2.Published 1 month ago by Mr M Green
A very interesting read about a man who, like a lot of his generation, didn't brag about what he did but just" got on with it" even when surrounded by less capable but... Read morePublished 9 months ago by Jon B.
A book about an ordinary man of extra ordinary courage. It is a brilliant tale of service in two World Wars made the more interesting as Col Dean was a TA soldier not a... Read morePublished 12 months ago by Jeremy
Most interesting read about a very brave but unassuming man.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Children's & Young Adult
- Books > Biography > Historical
- Books > Biography > Political
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War I
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > Children's Books > Hobbies & Interests > General Knowledge & Trivia
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early Modern 1501-1700 (Tudors, Stuarts, Commonwealth, Restoration, Glorious Revolution)
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Europe > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Military History > World War I
- Books > History > World History > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns
- Books > Young Adult > Biographies > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > World War I
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > World War II
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Biographies > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > World
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Children's Nonfiction