- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
The Domestic Duck Paperback – 5 Sep 2008
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Dr Chris Ashton and Mike Ashton specialize in rearing pure breeds of ducks and geese and have developed their stock over the last twenty-eight years. They are among the top waterfowl breeders in the UK, are judges in all sections of waterfowl, and have won the main waterfowl awards at the championship shows over many years. They gained the British Waterfowl Association 'Exhibitor of the Year' award in 1987 and each year between 1996 and 1999. Chris is the author of Domestic Geese [Crowood 1999] and she and Mike have both contributed regularly to Smallholder, Country Smallholding and Fancy Fowl magazines, and have written books on Indian Runners and duck colour breeding. Resident - Powys, Wales
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
I was curious about the title of the book and a little worried after reading the Synopsis on Amazon that it might be more of a history book than practical advice book but in fact it is both and the book is broken down into three parts:
1. Breeds of Ducks: History and Characteristics (2 chapters)
2. Adult Ducks: Behaviour and Management (3 chapters)
3. Breeding Ducks (3 chapters)
I was pleased to find part 1 was very readable as it was broken down into nice bite sized pieces with lots of photos and sketches interlaced between the facts. Part 2 covers behaviour but also there are 2 chapters on purchasing and managing adult stock that I found excellent - covering just about everything you'll ever need to know to keep ducks -from the most basic advice on feeding to the more difficult to find information like egg laying capabilities of breeds, Age and declining egg production as well as ideas for fencing, pests and predators (including the less obvious Mink, Marten and Polecat), who would have thought that there would be so many gems of information in this book!
Just when I thought it wouldn't get any better, part 3 filled many gaps in my knowledge and I re-read many of the pages. The whole breeding process is covered from how to select suitable stock, to incubating and rearing ducklings. Finally, to finish, there is a handy appendix for reference which covers many of the common health problems you may encounter.
There are black and white photos and illustrations throughout the book with 8 pages of colour photographs in the centre of the book. The information contained in this book is worth more than a mere £10 or so that Amazon are charging for it. A definite MUST HAVE for the book shelf and I'm pleased to say, now my #1 book to recommend for value for money.
Don't go without this book!
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Home & Garden > Animal Care & Pets > Birds
- Books > Reference > Encyclopaedias
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Birds
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Food & Farming > Animal Husbandry
- Books > Science & Nature > Food & Farming > Farm & Working Animals
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Agriculture & Farming
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Fishing, Birdwatching & Other Outdoor Pursuits > Birdwatching