Domesday Book - A complete Translation (Alecto Historical Editions) Hardcover – 7 Nov 2002
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'A unique monument to the age ... its brilliance lies in the detail of about 45,000 landholdings in 14,000 named English locations' -- Professor Norman Davies
'Indispensable. The only census of England before 1801' -- Sir Roy Strong
'Now for the first time available in English translation in a single volume. A must for scholars and history buffs everywhere' -- Michael Wood
About the Author
The Alecto translation of Domesday is the most authoritative available. The Editorial Board in charge of the translation comprises the most renowned Domesday scholars.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I was simply pleased to hold a monument which is mentioned in every book on medieval England, some treasure chest which can now be opened at will. Though the survey it contains is probably of far more interest to a professional historian, one does quickly get an idea of the formidable takeover of the anglo-saxon economy by a foreign aristocracy over such a short period. The Norman Barons appear to have made a good return on investment after a rather devastating invasion, having taken ownership of every economic unit of estimatable wealth. Still, most readers will simply be delighted to check their favorite town or village has been surveyed 900 years ago.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Personal Finance > Property & Real Estate
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early Modern 1501-1700 (Tudors, Stuarts, Commonwealth, Restoration, Glorious Revolution)
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wars of the Roses
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Europe > Renaissance, Reformation, Thirty Years War 1501-1750
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500