on 19 March 2006
This is a concise and helpful little book. Guides you through the entire research process. If you want Heavier technical info on statistics or SPSS you need Healey ('Statistics: A tool for Social Research') or Bryman ('Quantitative Data Analysis With SPSS Release 13 for Windows'). However this book is a great starting point, and provides a list of suggestions for further reading at the end of each chapter. Brief but fairly comprehensive, it covers ethics, access, analysis, literature review, note taking, etc.
This is by no means the most detailed book on the subject (if more detail is required, for example if studying research methods in itself as a part of your course, consult Bryman 'Social Research Methods') however the title is appropriate, containing 'A guide for first time researchers'. The blurb says: 'serves as a guide to practice for beginner researchers' which it does very well.
Hence 5 stars.
on 12 May 2009
This book is a great starting point, very informative and function. Has aided my dissertation to great lenghts definately a book worth purchasing
on 11 August 2009
Im doing a research project at the moment and i find this book is helping me with my thought processes and knowing where to begin with didfferent sections of my project. my university recommend it and i would too.
on 13 January 2015
Excellent little book. Covers everything you need. If you can't afford the latest edition, don't worry: you'll save plenty of money buying this edition instead and you really won't miss out. It's succinct and well-written. I can't imagine doing any kind of research in education without this book.
on 27 July 2009
I am currently undertaking a foundation degree and bought this book to help me carryout my first ever research project. The book has loads of helpful tips and useful checklists. I have read the book and i am now much more confident in what i need to do.
on 5 March 2015
Essential basic text for anyone writing a research project, dissertation, report, etc. Geared towards Education and Humanities, but useful information for first time researcher. Great for part time study and adult returners.
on 11 June 2013
I gto this to advise a research project for a Foundation Degree I was studying. It provided some insight into the requirements for researching and I got some good quotes to use in the report I completed.
on 23 February 2009
Useful introduction to writing a research paper, will assist with initiation and project planning.. encourages you to do certain tasks on finishing each chapter.. handy for those of us who are motivationally challenged!! cannot be relied on fully as an authoritive guide to your own individuaal reaserach paper.. good generic overview however.
on 20 September 2010
Item recieved in good time. Full of useful information on how best to approach your project. Hopefully will lead to not wasting time on unnecessary work!
on 26 October 2009
This book was helpful to a degree as it gives a general overview about what to write in a project or dissertation however I still had to refer back to my institution's rules. A major plus point was the tip on writing well, referencing, doing questionnaires etc! My pilot study was done to a very high standard thanks to this book. Overall worth buying.