Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > Dead Island (PC DVD) forum

Does the retail version needs Steam...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Aug 2011, 10:34:30 BST
Gustavo says:
Why is never said at system specs?

Posted on 8 Aug 2011, 12:04:48 BST
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2011, 12:05:29 BST
FS says:
yes, it will need steam.
and for all germans.
yes, you can activate it.
deep silver already confirmed that.

Posted on 22 Aug 2011, 12:10:11 BST
Lexx says:
thx for the info about steam but will it be multilingual ( PC or PS3 ) ?

Posted on 4 Sep 2011, 10:09:33 BST
Tauly says:
Thank's for the Update there about this Game needed steam to run! i shall Promptly Avoid it like a an Island Full of Zombies!!,, Steam must be closed down for the "Big Brother" piece of PC Controlling Junk that it is, Owning a PC is about doing things for yourself and steam think they know better. There's your Warning game Makers/Designers/Distributors use steam as a Platform and I Wont! buy your game!.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011, 17:55:10 BST
SJ says:
Tauly, you will miss out on some great games then..

Posted on 6 Sep 2011, 09:40:38 BST
Entenhausen says:
It´s a pity you have to use Steam for the game, well i won´t buy it then, i do not support such DRM platforms.
Maybe for Playstation later.

Posted on 6 Sep 2011, 10:39:06 BST
David Walker says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011, 13:18:49 BST
Tauly says:
There's tons of Great Games out that don't use steam and we PC User's coped quite well before steam arrived on the scene. it is good for Patching games though.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2011, 08:47:40 BST
Bluto says:
Whoa DW ! Think I'd get a refund on that anger management course there ! Wanting maintain individual control is hardly a communist ideal. The choice here isn't between opposing political dogma, it's actually about consumer rights.

Having contributed to a number of the DRM/Anti-DRM discussions across the years, I'd make 2 points:
1) It's unavoidable and here to stay (and yes, you will miss out on some great games and Steam's nowhere near as bad as it was in the days of Half Life)
2) As a concept, DRM is as offensive a mechanism to destroy consumer rights, as it is possible to find. Why anyone would pay over £15 for a piece of `rentware', I fail to understand. The simple answer is to put up with Steam, but only buy the game in a few months time, when the price has halved. Developers and distributors might just change their minds faced with that financial pressure.

Unfortunately, 2) won't work because the majority of people want the latest game NOW. It's the same mentality that drives people to work for Tesco for free, by using the self-service checkouts - these people would stack the shelves for nothing as well if they thought they could get their goodies any quicker !

Posted on 7 Sep 2011, 09:48:00 BST
L. W. Loftus says:
I use self service because I hate people, just saying.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  4 Aug 2011
Latest post:  7 Sep 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
Dead Island (PC DVD)
Dead Island (PC DVD) by Deep Silver (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
3.4 out of 5 stars (53)