on 21 April 2014
"The Key to time" series in my opinion was quite disappointing, but "The pirate planet" and "The androids of tara" are the only two stories in that season I like and they are both classics. What I really like about this story is Tom Baker and Mary Tamn's performances which I think they had a great acting chemistry together and also the story has plenty of thrills which is very well written by Douglas Adams. However Bruce Purchase is very over the top as the evil pirate captain, but he is entertaining to watch and the cliffhanger in episode 3 is excellent and is probably one of the greatest cliffhangers in "Doctor Who" history. The only other disadvantages was that K9 annoyed me a bit and the story seemed to have ended so quickly in episode 4. But overall this is a wonderful story to watch and this is easily in my top 10 Tom baker stories.
on 18 March 2015
Not the best outing for Tom Baker really, in my opinion. I remembered this as a kid and even then didn't really like the story much although it is full of ambitious ideas. I also dislike the Key to Time story arc. I'm a huge fan of Tom Baker as the Doctor, and as usual he filled the screen with his gargantuan persona and delivered Douglas' witty lines with aplomb. Sadly, some of the other actors were less capable. I'm also still puzzled as to what actually the Mentiads were, or what was their origin?
on 29 April 2012
I just downloaded and watched Pirate Planet, and it is right up there with my favourites. OK, the Captain is played way over the top, and OK K9 continues to irritate me (but I think I'm in a minority of one about that), and OK the "landscape" shots are a hoot, but the acting is fun, and the dialogue is great. I suspect that this is the first appearance in Science Fiction of that eminently good advice "DON'T PANIC".
This was good enough for me to buy the DVD box set.