Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more



on 31 October 2013
currently in a difficult situation and this book has helped me see things from my wife's point of view. Even though i'm currently separated and trying to fix matters, this book gives good insight on what can be done differently in order to make a marriage work.
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 21 December 2015
Unfortunately I didn't win my wife back.
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 8 May 2016
Spot on
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 3 May 2016
It didn't work
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 23 August 2014
good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 19 March 2014
Great book, simple to read, real life stories that I could relate to.
Simple guidelines to follow
Could change my life for the better
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 19 June 2010
I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK HIGHLY ENOUGH.
Forget "five stars," I give it TEN.
I have read it several times.

The book's claims are true - even if you're about to sign your divorce papers, if there's any niggling doubt in your mind/heart as to whether divorce is the right path for you, even if there's no hope in sight because so much damage is done and your partner is completely uninterested in any reconciliation - it is worth a last try to read this book. Even if your relationship still ends in divorce after reading this book, it could very well help make you feel more resolved about your decision.

Here are what I consider to be some of the books key strengths:

> It reminds us that divorce is not a solution or instant fix to life's current problems and unhapiness. Once the ink is dry, you probably still won't be any happier, contrary to the perception we have of divorce. Once divorced, you might feel even more depressed, which is a terrible shock for divorcees. The failures of your marriage won't be resolved and you could well carry them into your next relationship. It is therefore critical to try and understand "what happened," if not to successfully save your marriage, then to learn lessons and improve your future relationship(s);

> It points out that most people have a false expectation of "what marriage should be" due to images in the media (film, television, press, celebrity). These images set up false expectations and doom us to feeling failure in our own marriages;

> Don't ever think it can't happen to your marriage. All relationships, especially long terms ones, are vulnerable. In fact, the longer a relationship goes on, the more vulnerable we are to the drip-drip-drip of subtle but potentially very damaging conflict and behavior. I certainly learned that the hard way;

> Divorce is devastating to the children involved and will forever alter the course of their lives for the worse (except in extreme cases e.g. abuse, etc). For the good of the children, divorced parents will STILL have to work together, make compromises, cooperate and present a "united front" - that won't be easy, in fact it will probably be more difficult but will be absolutely necessary for the benefit of the children. Why not, then, try to make that effort WITHIN the context of marriage, rather as two separate households?;

> The breakdown of a marriage is NEVER just one person's fault. The person in the "victim" role must acknowledge their role in the breakdown, and this book helps to gain insight into both partner's roles and responsibilities;

> Marriages in critical condition need an immediate, radical approach. Couples therapy is, of course, valuable, but for a marriage on life support, dramatic - almost instant - progress is essential. This books approach tries to provide that kind of support and ideas that can be implemented immediately and WITHOUT a therapist's involvement. This is especially critical when one partner is anti-counseling or has given up on the relationship entirely;

> If you can remember a time when you and your partner were happy and when "it worked," then those shreds of memory are enough to "seed" happiness together now and are invaluable tools to bring your marriage back from the brink and even (gasp!) make it fun again;

> Even if you feel that you have "tried everything" to make your marriage work, I guarantee this book will contain at least one insight or point of view that you haven't considered ("light bulb moment") (how can you put a price on that?);

An example of one of these gem concepts is "Act as if."
That is, don't wait for your partner's behaviour to change for things to get better. Instead, ACT AS IF your partner is already behaving in a positive way. Yes. Even If You Feel That They Are At Fault.
By acting as if, you will break the stalemate of their negative reaction to your negative reaction to their negative reaction to your negative reaction and so on... If you suddenly Act As If instead of acting in the way your partner HAS COME TO EXPECT OF YOU in times of conflict, it will not only will give them a chance to change their reaction/behavior, it will radically change their perception of you.
This minor, unexpected shift could well break the cycle of negativity and be a catlyst to jump start their positive reaction to your positive reaction, etc. But, you ask increduously, "Why should I take the lead and take the high road? Especially when I haven't done anything wrong and it's all their fault?!" Well, that depends on if you are keeping score, or trying to save your marriage. ACT AS IF.

Some "negatives" about the book:

> It was written in the 1990s, so does at times feel dated, particularly when it comes to the role of new technology in marriage breakdowns and conflicts (mobile phones, texting, emails, internet pornography, etc.);
> It is written by an American, and therefore, at times reads "very American";
> The idea behind the book is to employ a therapist who uses the author's technique, HOWEVER, if her subsequent book ("The Divorce Remedy"), the author makes it clear that this was a weakness of the first book and that it is NOT essential to employ a therapist.

Given the above negative points, I really wish the author would totally revise this book and bring it up to date (and not just in the introduction) - it is badly needed. Still, don't let these weaker points dissuade you from reading it. Just keep these points in mind and adapt your assimilation of its advice (and know that in her second book, she actually recants/adjusts some of her previous advice).

I have read both "Divorce Busting" and the sequel, "The Divorce Remedy." I found this book (Divorce Busting) far more powerful - a strong voice that can reach through the darkness of the darkest days of marriage breakdown and impending divorce. The second book is helpful, but in my opinion, for specific chapters later in the book (e.g. infidelity, men's mid-life crisis, etc.).

Given the critical state of our marriage (separated after a truly devastating series of hurtful events and breakdown), I actually did invest in a few sessions of Telephone Divorce Coaching with the author's "certified" American-based coaches. This, too, was incredibly helpful, but will only be if you read this book first.

In closing, I again highly recommend this book. Even if it doesn't work for you and you do end up divorced, it will make you feel that you've left no stone unturned in trying to make your relationship work. That will only bring you peace of mind, especially where children are concerned. So far, the result has led my partner and I down the positive path. When I discovered this book I was actually searching for books to help me deal with the transition of becoming divorced. When I happened upon this book, it struck a chord, and even back then when any resolution seemed impossible and hopeless, I purchased it. The book was a bolt from the blue, an incredible force of intervention. I would have never imagined that we would be back together as a family but here we are with a year back together under our belts...

Good luck.

PS: This book is NOT just for people who are on the brink of divorce. Much can be gained by anyone who is in a relationship to deepen bonds, communication and understanding, and to learn how to problem solve.
13 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 17 November 1997
I disagree with the comments by sls04@sprynet.com. I believe this is an excellent book but it should not be the only source of reference. Wiener-Davis approach is perhaps the best approach when the situation has reached such a crisis level. In my opinion once the situation is out of crisis then a long term approach should be used to follow-up. Which is why I rate this book an 8 rather than 10.
While I am currently going through a divorce, my wife used as her explanation of wanting a divorce, "YOU DID NOT MEET MY EMOTIONAL NEEDS". I was comsumed with guilt until I read the SAME QUOATION in Wiener-Davis' book and the reason people use this as an excuse of wanting out of their marriage.
DIVORCE BUSTING help me realize that this was not MY problem but my wife's own failure to interject other external activities into her life. With that I was able to arm myself emotionally and was able to confront my wife with the truth about herself and her situation. My wife's inability to turn the mirror to herself and her unwillingness to change and lack of comittment has led her to take the "easy" way out via blame.
DIVORCE BUSTING also help save my friend's marriage. But in his case both him and his wife read the book and both decided to make changes. In fact I'd venture to say that their situation was worst. However they both are committed to each other.
Another thing I'd like to point out is Wiener-Davis' assessment of counselors. I can attest to this first hand. During the crisis my counselor labeled me as "passive aggressive". This labelling help "validate" my wife's position. Such labelling only inflames the situation and such labelling is ineffective. For example, is my 9y/o engaged in "passive aggressive" behavior if I have to call his name three time to get his attention. This is the type of ineffective counselling that occurs during a crisis that often assist the other party toward divorce rather than reconciliation.
Dispite sls04@sprynet.com comments I highly recommend this book. There is much too much divorce and often times, I believe, marriages can be salvaged.
15 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 30 June 1999
The book is a "getting started" approach to getting a marriage back on track. The solution based method is a "let's do this now and not worry about your childhood method". This allows marital issues to be addressed immediately, and she claims, for a couple to find some success immediately as well. However, the author doesn't acknowledge that some of those deep seated issues may well need to be addressed--even if they come after the immediate conflict is resolved. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is starting to think that divorce is an option--it's a great place to start.
12 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 16 May 1998
As a single person who had to read this book for a counseling class, I was very impressed by Weiner-Davis' clear, concise writing. As a daughter of divorced parents who fears repeating that painful mistake, this book gave me hope that my own marriage someday can be "divorce proof". In the end it reaffirms what ALL counselors should be saying to couples: I BELIEVE in your marriage, here is how YOU can too!
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse