TOP 100 REVIEWERon 17 April 2016
Bought this leather bound edition for my son as part of a Christmas gift and I am glad to say he was delighted with it, as was I. This is a really beautiful bound leather edition that is illustrated throughout featuring Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's renowned and 135 full-page reproductions of Gustave Dore's classic engravings from the 1867 edition. What more could one ask for as the two go hand in hand IMHO. Binding and paper quality together with print quality is truly exceptional and if you want to own a copy this is a lovely edition to go for. I have heard some discussion in the reviews about the quality of the translation form the original Italian. Well, the same can be said for most translations, however, I personally cannot find any real fault in the translation. Perhaps the academics may disagree, but one must bear in mind this book is for reading and owning and enjoying: it is not a text book for academic study. Buy it and you will love it.
on 10 October 2015
This is a bravely successful attempt to render Dante's genius into rhyme. The verse seems so natural and unforced that it is a joy to read. I just feel that it would have been even better with footnotes to help explain the many historical references in this epic poem.
on 4 December 2013
I am not Italian but I am fascinated by the country, language and especially the people. I had no idea how important La Commedia is in Italy and so when I learned about it, I just had to have my own copy. In English of course.
Dante was a fascinating man with a real vision and a determination to parody officialdom in the city. A beautifully bound and illustrated volume
on 21 January 2011
Having developed an interest in all things Italian recently I wanted to acquaint myself with this masterpiece of Italian, and indeed world, literature, but as I do not know Italian sufficiently well to read it in the original, I was looking for a scholarly translation which would help me. While I cannot claim to have read the whole of Dante's great work as yet, I can say that this edition is very good value. It is beautifully presented and there is a superb introduction which explains the background and the intricacies of Dante's poetry. I can thoroughly recommend this edition to anyone who, like me, wishes to accompany the great Italian poet on his journey through the Inferno to Purgatory and then to Paradise.
Margo
on 28 August 2016
Challenging! But one of those texts worth looking at and seeing why people write about this.
on 18 September 2017
Excellent. It contains all three novels. Laid out beautifully.
on 28 June 2013
Well worth getting for the artwork alone. The price was superb for the quality of the product. If you like the classics this is the one for you.
I bought this after reading 'Inferno' by Dan Brown as I am sure many others will seek out the 'Comedy' in similar manner.
on 25 September 2014
Bought to compliment 'Inferno' by Dan Brown. hard going in places. will persist as things are often an acquired taste and this may be such. It's a literary masterpiece I'm informed so pressing on.
on 8 February 2016
very well done indeed
on 30 July 2015
How can anyone review a classic? Suffice it to say that it will not suit some tastes but then those with tastes like that will not buy it.