Customer reviews

1,582
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 11 April 2017
One of those movies where the lead is trained in a faction. Finally one where the whole long training period that took most of the film, was worth watching.

Shailene was very well cast, and I thought Zoe Kravitz was hot. Even down to the closing music, I was never bored. Considering I had this on my watchlist for a while, and thought it might be just generic and empty. It was a surprise. Four and half stars easy, and five for being way better than expected.
on 16 September 2017
I enjoyed this film. A disaster has happened at some point and the civilisation was destroyed. A utopian state was set up divided up by what might be called castes. However you get to chose your caste as part of a coming of age ceremony. However the human race being what it is has intrigue and propaganda and the military caste resent the workers being the leading caste. Modern technology is then used to try and brainwash people but the heroes fight this in an attempt to save the city from the leaders who are also (in their minds) saving the city. We never do see what is outside the large fences defending the city and the reason for having a powerful military but it is set up at the end for a sequel of what is beyond the fence and that would be a sequel I would be interested in seeing. I am sure it is not perfect but I enjoyed the film and was interesting and kept my full attention that many films do not.
on 3 April 2016
The first time I tried to watch this film, I gave up: it was confusing and not the kind of thing that appealed to me. But later I read the book and surprised myself by liking it. So I decided to try the film again and this time I understood what was happening and found it much more enjoyable. The film followed the book fairly closely and although I'm still left with questions, I thought it was well acted and this time round at least I was able to identify with both Tris and Four and appreciate the journey they take.
on 22 June 2017
Really Enjoyed this film, focusing on human traits & plenty of action kept me watching!
Thought provoking, & Good storyline as I wanted to know what was going to happen next..
Wanted to watch the second film in this series but unfortunately when I last looked only
the first and third film was on prime! I don't understand why the second film is not on prime!
So I might not get to see the whole series which is a shame!
Would recommend this first film of the series.
on 23 August 2017
This film was absolutely top notch. I was pleasantly surprise how well the storyline and acting complimented each other so well. Is there a sequel? If so I can't wait to watch it. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it from start to finish. I highly recommend this movie.
on 3 August 2017
I enjoyed it.
Since the comparison has been used elsewhere....
Unlike The Hunger Games there is a bit more originality and emotion.
Watching the Hunger Games I figured I was watching a flick made for kids on the verge of adulthood.
Watching Divergent I was drawn in, it's not entirely original but it is different and a lot of fun to view.
I never bothered to watch the sequel to The Hunger Games, I will seek out the sequel to this one....
This is far too similar to some of the hunger game concepts, with some novelties, but on the whole lacks bite and suspense and some incoherence and plot leaps of faith which even in a fantasy dystopian story are a stretch. Entertaining but very unfulfilling when you've seen it's much better movie cousin. Kate Winslet adds about the only bit of edge to this, and she's very good in the role. Everyone else, a big meh!
on 3 August 2017
A very good film of its type. Good plot, interesting ideas and good characters, well filmed and well enough acted, with Kate Winslet being, inevitably, the outstanding performer. Very enjoyable and engaging.
on 9 July 2016
Pretty much a stock product. Derivative - the 'Hunger Games' films handle the whole concept far better. Targeted on the teenage market. Not complete rubbish but certainly nothing to get excited about.
on 15 August 2017
Have read the book and thought it was great, but the DVD beats it hands down. Am loving every minute of it!