Platform: Nintendo Wii|Change
Price:£18.90 - £42.95

on 28 October 2011
I bought this game on the recommendation that I would like it if I liked the LEGO series, and so far I haven't been dissapointed. You battle and solve your way through puzzles and enemies called 'bots', trying to clear each stage by collecting all the world items (dice and various other things), and levelling up the suit you chose for the level by unlocking chests with tool upgrade stars. Each level is varied enough to keep you interested. There are 6 worlds, each world has three areas to clear and each area is divided into 3 levels. At the end of each level you exit throguh to the next one, and at the end of the area you have to free a guest! You unlock new costumes at the end of each area which can then be purchased with the gold you collected. If you take to many hits it'll affect your ability to level up and loose some gold, but you can collect it again (just like the studs in the lego games). The graphics are very bright and colourful and really do the game justice and there are some rally nice tunes for each area too.

If you've played a LEGO game you'll know what the gameplay is like in Disney Universe, you become obssesed with collecting every bit of 'currency' and trying to find every world item and unlock every power suit, and there are boss fights which crop up a couple of times in each area, you can use the nunchuck 'z' button to do a dodge when a boss lunges at you, then you can go in and deliver a few slashed with your weapon. You are encouraged to try different suits as often as possible and mix them with the different Disney worlds, so you can level up as many suits to level 4 (highest) as you can. There are also challenges you can undertake in each level, like defeating 20 enemies within a time limit. The challenges are optional, but help toward getting a gold award in each level - some of them are very tricky I might add! I haven't played in multiplayer, as I have no one to play with, but I can imagine that it is a right laugh, as you try to solve levels as a team, or try to annialate each other to get the highest score - the choice is yours. Like New Super Mario Bros Wii, you can have up to 4 players at once, and you can help weaker team members along by carrying them and so on.

I've played for about 7 hours now, and I can safely say that I have been impressed with this game. OK, it does have it's bad points, like it's not a hefty challenge and the game holds your hand the whole way through (you can actually turn this option off) giving you arrows telling you where to go and what to do - although I've found this helpful a couple of times, you have no excuse to get stuck then! The game makes you want to see the story to its end, with the story developing through cutscene animations and find out what happens to the evil HEX that took over the Virtual Information Cube (VIC) that welcomed you to Disney Universe at the beginning.

Disney Universe is great for younger children (I'm 32!), and older players will like it too, but some wont see the value in it because of the difficulty being too easy. I would say if you like Disney games and want to play in your favourite franchise like, Pirates of the Caribbean, Wall-E, Lion King, Alladin and a couple of others then this is the game for you. If you enjoy the LEGO games this has similar appeal. The game has crashed twice on the very same level, Queen Anne's Revenge in the Pirates World, so watch out, as you'll have to restart the level from the beginning after you repower the Wii. This game is cheap at about £25, and it has definitely been worth every penny, despite its shortcomings.
1010 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2011
My six year old daughter, partner and myself all had great fun playing this game together recently. In fact up to four people can all play at once which is pretty impressive even if a bit to hectic now and then. My family and I are all fans of Disney/Pixar films and we are enjoying the way they have brought this films to life in a strange mixed up Disney universe. I find the game easy but so are the lego games but sometimes easy equals more fun especially for non ex-hardcore gamers like myself. Another great family game that is four player and came out last month is Go Vacation (Wii) which impressed me very much indeed.
on 1 December 2011
This product arrived in plenty of time. I was looking for something to play (while waiting for the new Lego Harry Potter game) and I wasn't disappointed. I'd seen this game on adverts and I liked the price of this product on Amazon,so I thought why not? It always puts a smile on my face,as it's full of surprises, great fun to play and who hasn't enjoyed Disney at some point? I would highly recommend this game to anyone.
on 26 June 2012
I've wanted this game since it was first on pre-order but wasn't willing to pay £40 for it and I'm so glad I didn't. I'm a huge fan of the disney franchise so this was a must have game for me. My partner owed me some wii games which I could afford to buy one more expensive game with and some smaller games. I chose this over Mario Galaxy and Zelda, such a mistake. The game is nowhere near as good as I thought it was going to be, the graphics are TINY and I have a real problem seeing what's going on on the screen properly and the levels are too simple and frankly quite boring. Me and my partner played to the end of the first level and then quit it for the time being because it's such a strain on the eyes and doesn't leave you wanting to play more. I'll obviously play it through to see if it improves and get my moneys worth but I wish I'd saved the money for somethign else!
on 14 May 2016
Great game, but do be aware its one of them that can cause no end of bickering!" You left me", "you went through the portal without me". Having said that its such a good game, we all keep having another go....
on 17 February 2015
This is a really good game. My 7 yr old loves it and it is multi-player if you want. The nice thing is, every time you play you can continue from where you last saved, and even if it was a single player the first time, you can make it a multi-player to continue which is great. Good levels and good ideas within them. Prefer this to Disney Infinity.
on 8 November 2014
I like this game - it is hard right from the start - I am still on the first level - at the bridge - one piece of the bridge won't go up to form the bridge - what did I do wrong in the game? I will have another go - great graphics! - Since Walt Disney likes fantasy; does his living relatives want to read my 3 HERO BOOKS - Hero - season 1, Hero - Season 2 and Hero - Season 3 by Martin Jackson - available at www.amazon.co.uk? If you can't get the books from there, try other venders and still unlucky, I will magically transport a copy of these books to them by wishing them to have them!

Still, I love Disney, even at my age of 41!
on 26 March 2015
This is a great game my 5 year old daughter loves it, we both get to play together as a team and she can also play on her own. Great fun and she prefers this to her Infinity stuff. Would highly recommended
on 17 January 2015
My children of 3 and 6 love it. It's easy to follow with hints and tips to complete the challenges. A little complicated for my three year old to do without adult help, but he enjoys watching his sister. Entertaining for adults too.
on 7 January 2012
This is a good game but doesn't really offer anything very innovative. My 6 year old is really good with games but got a little bored with this quite soon. He may pick it up again later, but Mario Sports / Mario Carts / Club Penguin and Lego Star Wars Clone Wars 3 take priority! Other children may love it so you have to decide for yourself.