on 28 March 2001
This book fills an important niche: most statistics books do not include all the terminology used in SPSS in the index, so it is often impossible to make informed choices about which of the many options to use without consulting a statistician. SPSS manuals, on the other hand, explain what features are available, but not the theory behind them.
This book explains complex statistical techniques in a way that anyone of modest intelligence can understand, whilst also being an excellent manual for SPSS. It also concentrates on the more complex statistical techniques, such as MANOVA and logistic regression, which many books still seem to regard as exotic irrelevances, but which are becoming the first-line tools of most researchers in the social and biomedical sciences.
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 February 2001
A disagree entirely with the above reviewer. I have a BSc. in Psychology and am now completing my PhD in Psychology so I would hope that I know a fair amount of statistics relating to my subject. Even with this knowledge I find this book an invaluable source of reference covering all the topics I need in great detail. However, this is not the best thing about this book, it really is quite fun to read and everything is explained exceptionally well. I recommend it to all the undergraduates I supervise and so now I am recommending it to you. In summary it is excellently written, the statisitcs are well explained and extremely thorough, and the potential maze of SPSS statistics becomes a lot clearer.
on 5 September 2017
Having owned a later edition of this book throughout university and turned to it as my guide for all things statistics, when I found myself in need of a stats refresher crash course this was my first port of call (still kicking myself for giving my original copy away). However, if you want this book I'd really recommend getting a later edition - the one I ordered was the first edition (year 2000) and you can really see the difference. Later versions have much more basic statistics grounding earlier on in the book, better explanations, more logical ordering, better diagrams and practice questions/self tests at the end of chapters to consolidate learning. The old edition, while usable and better than nothing, really can't compare. Had I known quite how many improvements had been made I might well have payed the extra to get a later version.
on 1 August 2017
Too expensive, you can find cheaper ones - a few years on and I'm a trainee psychologist, honestly just use your lecture notes and pay attention in class. Not worth spending so much money on books you will use for 6 months then ditch
on 22 May 2017
Very good...arrived on time.
on 1 April 2017
Totally fine! Thanks
on 31 October 2017
Stats for numpties.. or those who never really paid attention in school.. everything you need to understand is very well explained.
on 4 May 2017
loved it! many examples!
on 18 March 2017
Book was in good condition but smells quite strongly of cigarettes! Very off putting.
on 4 May 2003
Let's face it; SPSS is a scary program unless you're a mathematician. I've done research that I need to make sense of, and have been given SPSS without any instruction or help. OK, you can find your way around SPSS if you are semi computer literate, but you will never use 10% of SPSS's capacity in a month of Sundays. So, what capabilitieis do you use? Most of the SPSS books that I've read assume a more than basic understanding of statistics, or simply concentrate on the number-crunching capability of SPSS. Field does neither and the title is actually accurate. He does try and get you to understand statistics by using SPSS. OK, he's not infallable, some of the examples that he uses are very simple and can be difficult to relate to complicated research. But, by and large, it is a very good book to use if you are a research student who just wants to analyse your survey, or whatever and have an understanding of what SPSS can do and why it does it. Contrast with the SPSS Survival Manual, which is superficial and raises more questions than it answers. There are a lot of SPSS books out there. Field's book is enough for most students.