on 28 November 2013
I'd read the Addison Holmes series before I purchased this, so I knew already that I liked the way Liliana Hart writes but that aside, I really enjoyed this. The main character is likeable, vulnerable but with a tough exterior and I didn't guess who the person behind it all was, I was engrossed to the end and I have since bought and read all of the others available, really really good :). If you like a bit of mystery with some romance, buy buy buy. Also, buy the Addison Holmes books - if you are a fan of Stephanie Plum, you won't be disappointed.
on 19 January 2016
This book was free for my kindle so, after reading the blurb and finding out it was a crime story, I thought I would give it a go. I’m so glad I did! The main character is J J Graves, the coroner and funeral director for a small Midwestern town called Bloody Mary. J J is an intriguing and complex female character with a big backstory of her own that the reader finds out about gradually during this, and subsequent books, I liked Hart’s writing style and found the dialogue between JJ and her best friend: Jack, witty and realistic. The murder mystery element of the novel is cleverly orchestrated and I didn’t guess ‘whodunit’ until the very end. I liked the layers that unfold in this novel, as well as the main crime drama element there are also romances and great details about small town America. Yes, I’ve bought and downloaded the rest of the series now.
on 24 April 2016
vA pun on the name ‘Graves’.
Jaye is a coroner and an undertaker...
She came back to her very small town before completing her residency to take over her parent’s business as they had died in mysterious circumstances – did they jump or were they pushed? Was it a car accident or a suicide or a murder?
There is a serial murderer loose in her very small town – how are the murders connected and why? What does Jaye – acting as the coroner – discover that brings her too close to the murderer?
An interesting concept here using some forensic medicine as the means to help solve the murders but has been better done. So 3.5 but a fun enough read – but not enough to make me immediately want to read the rest of the series.
on 20 December 2013
What a random ending! I was really enjoying this book until the ending - it leaves a lot to be desired. I loved Jaye and Jack and the relationship they have. The book is interesting and funny too. The end kind of sneaks up on you, you're enjoying the climax of the book and then it's over. It's still worth a read but be prepared to have to buy the next book - I guess that's the author's point though!
on 4 January 2015
Brilliant book, really entertaining and fast paced with good likeable characters and a very good plot.
So, basically, JJ Graves is back in the small town she grew up in, after her parents death, which means she inherited a funeral parlour, plus she also takes on the role of local medical examiner - should be a quiet and boring life, but there is a murderer on the loose... I have to say I didn't guess who the killer was at all, and the romantic side of the book was handled with the right amount of comedy/smut/hope to make it entertaining rather than icky. The characters are fabulous - even the small town side characters are comedy gold yet believable. I have already downloaded the next 2 books and started book 2, which even after 2 chapters is proving as addictive and entertaining as the first. This is a great read, with all elements delivered in just the right measure - highly recommend!
on 5 January 2015
Having read Lilian Hart's Addison Holmes series I knew I would like the book and it proved to be an excellent read.
Loved the characters -Dr JJ Grave a complex but likeable character emotionally in crisis and yet a real hero in her own way- personable and empathetic and full of a realism with a truck load of scepticism weighing her down; Jack a shiny character full of male hormones and self criticism; and the many small town characters dotted through out the story with lots of personality traits adding flavour to the story.
The storyline was great, with twists and turns through out keeping you guessing and interested.
My only issue ( and a small one at that) was the unnecessary bad language in places but I would recommend the book and am going to buy the next in the series.
on 29 May 2017
Doctor (Mortician and Coroner) JJ and Sheriff Jack are faced with a series of gruesome murders. For each victim they uncover strange lives which cause surprises and complicate the investigations. Brody, a thriller writer joins JJ (literally) and even becomes a suspect, as goes Jack. Finally the truth is revealed - of course - and the murderer's identity comes as a complete shock. Thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 2 January 2014
This is an excellent whodunit tale. It moves along at a fast pace and the easy style of writing keeps the readers interest.
The main character Dr JJ Graves has to come to terms with her past and also that of her parents. She is a independent, what you see is what you get person with a sense of humour. She has an amusing repartee with her best friend the Sheriff. The characters are well developed, interesting and believable.
There is a taste of romance intermingled with the story.
The ending was surprising as I didn't see it coming.
I'm not going to give away spoilers. If you like a good murder mystery with a bit of romance thrown in this is for you.
There were some typo errors but it's still a good story.
Not to mention that it's free.
Recommended
on 1 January 2017
This has a strangely familiar plot, local doctor / police officer returns to homeland to find the inbreds are just as bad as 20 years ago, and proceeds to fall for, seduce, then uncover the local heart throb as a crook and a murderer.It's a copy cat but I've no idea of the title of the other because I chuked that one too after 3 chapters of silly repetative nonsense that was going nowhere.
on 7 February 2017
You always hope that this sort of American town only exists in the minds of writers; but the events that happen in Bloody Mary are all too believable. We have an array of stock small-town characters, with a serial killer on the loose. There could be blood; but at least the feisty female medical examiner has a sense of humour to keep things from getting too serious.