on 12 August 2014
This is suitable for people who already started learning French (it doesn't contain keys to pronounciation but still gives literal meanings often). However, a lot of expressions seem outdated, some don't seem to make any sense to my French friends (all in their 20s/30s). The English translations are very American ("thug", "redneck", "jock") and make it evident that the authors are not of the youngest generation and sometimes I don't even know the English words (British native speaker here). Also, as others pointed out, it contains zero references to slang used in places beyond France. I however like how some cultural information is given on topics such as words originating from popular TV shows etc.
on 13 January 2016
Bought alongside 101 French Idioms, and this is good. Loads of lists so I have had to be judicious and pick only the swear words that I want to use and sure of. Good to use with les fonctionaires...like most French do too! The only thing, but not a markdown, is that it hasn't picked up on regionalisation (is there such a word?) of swear words. Some acceptable in the south and certainly not acceptable in the north, and vice versa, but as long as you know that and limit your cursing to what you know to be OK, then it' fine.
on 9 December 2012
I have bought this book to try to push my lazy English boyfriend to learn my language. Unfortunately, he stayed at the "grosse pute" staged.

Globally, it is a good book to discover French slang. However, I sometimes have been really surprised by some phrases suggested in the book. Firstly because it is really French from France (do not expect to see any nuance from any other country from the Francophonie, not even French regional slang) and, secondly, because sometimes there are simply some mistakes. I do not have any example but, if you really want to use some expressions, make sure that they actually exists! :)

Anyway, it is still a funny book with plenty of funny "bite - chatte - cul" and advice to "se bourrer la gueule" with French new mates.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 May 2018
Best language book ever. If you want to learn French, this is the book for you.
on 23 June 2016
It lives up to its name. This book is extremely dirty but its given me more than a few laughs and with a coworker that speaks fluent French, there's been some hilarious conversations between the two of us.
on 5 September 2013
I got this book because I know a bit of french and want to learn some slang. I use phrases from this book to my french speaking boyfriend and he finds them hilarious. Recommend to anyone who have close french friends(or partner), not recommended to tourists who want to learn french and talk to french locals.
on 17 June 2016
Excellent reference book. It is American based but works well for Australian translation as Australian slang has a healthy combination of both British & American jargon. The service was excellent.
on 18 January 2017
Really really funny. Great departing gift to give someone living or visiting france.

Mature content.
on 11 March 2014
This book is handy and funny.
However, I can tell you that some of the French idiomatic expressions are a bit obsolete which is a shame.
Used with young French people, it can sound funny sometimes (according to them)
Is described a quite exaggerated and stereotyped French attitude that is funny to read.
Anyway, this is a book that I recommend even if I expected more English expressions than US (my bad).
One person found this helpful
on 24 February 2017
All the stuff they didn't teach you at school. Very useful.