Customer reviews

Dinosaurs and All That Rubbish (Puffin Books)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 January 2017
A classic Michael Foreman tale, beautifully illustrated and cleverly introducing the key concepts of pollution and conservation using a simple context. Children are given the opportunity to recognise the damage that can be caused and begin to understand the need to take responsibility for looking after their world.
on 8 October 2017
Great story with a message. Lovely illustrations.
on 8 October 2017
Good quality
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2007
This is a smashing and thought-provoking story which I have enjoyed with my children (6,5,3). The pictures are bright and friendly and I especially liked their rather retro feel, a cross-between 70s mixed with David McKee's style. And then I looked at the copyright information to discover that this book was actually first published in 1972 and that's why it has the feel of picture books from my childhood. I'm not surprised though that it remains in print today - the message remains good, and is probably even more relevant to today's children, more timely given the growth of the Green movement in the 21st century.
In a nutshell, a man sees a star and sets his sights upon it. In order to reach it he has to build a rocket and in doing so destroys his own environment with deforestation to provide fuel for factories, factories everywhere belching out filthy smoke, and piles of waste heaped high. The man reaches the faraway star but it is empty and devoid of life and beauty. All he can see is his own planet far away in the distance. Meanwhile on earth the heat of the smouldering rubbish awakens dormant dinosaurs who emerge and are appalled at the state of the planet. They set about cleaning up and foliage and flowers repopulate the Earth. When the man returns he sees that the Earth is a beautiful place and learns valuable lessons about looking after the place you live for everyone to enjoy. A great book for an at-home bookcase or a useful resource for Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 children (ages 2-7).
on 3 April 2017
I was expecting a better story to this book based on the other reviews and professional reviews.
Left a little disappointed.
My 5 year old said he liked it, but isn't interested in reading it again 4 months later.
on 2 December 2000
Dinosaurs and All That Rubbish ia a modern myth. Although it is a picture book it holds a very strong message about the environment.I would suggest that it is suitable for very young children, as the illustrations are fantastic, but also older children because of the message it conveys. I am a trainee primary school teacher and have used it in RE and Literacy lessons. The book has, in a light hearted way helped the children to think about the environmental issues. Using the text as a starting point the year 6 (10-11 year olds) pupils made posters and leaflets encouraging other pupils to think more carefully about the world. They also wrote letters to the local MP to ask what he was doing in our area to try to cut down on pollution. The 10 and 11 year old children really did enjoy the book, and the work that came from it. This book is well worth buying, it's EXCELLENT!
on 3 February 2008
In response to that 'rubbish' review by J.S Meins.
What a shocking review of a beautiful book! I could not disagree with this person's point of view more and urge those of you with a desire to leave beautiful books in the memories of your children..buy it! I fondly remember this book being read to me when I was a small child, and now as a 33 and a half year old, I was over the moon to rediscover it so I can buy it for my son. My memories of this book and story are of being intoxicated by the pictures of lush tropical forest pushing up through tarmac, breaking up roads and bursting with exotic flowers of vivid colours turning the mess left by the human race back into the utopia it was before we spolit it all. A subject even more poinient in todays car crazy polluting world. I thumbed this favoured book so much as a child it fell to pieces.Enchanting illustrations and story for a 5, 6 or 7 year old,I was one of them so I should know. Just don't listen to the cynical and unromantic codswollop of previous review, ha!
on 20 April 2010
I bought this book for my daughters and as presents for their little chums as I remember it vividly from my childhood, and think it may have played a part in the way I live my life today. Having just re-read it, the story is just as great now as it was then. The tale has real resonance with society's growing environmental awareness, and I think it powerfully gets that message across to little ones in a positive and optimistic way. Great colourful illustrations and simple text, I think it'll be loved by my soon to be three your old (when she gets her hands on it next week for her birthday). And in response to the negative review on here, who cares that dinosaurs haven't really been hiding under the ground for a few hundred years - if we restricted kids books and stories to scientific fact only, I think we'd all be much the poorer! Alice in Wonderland? Hogwarts? Narnia? Gulliver? Beatrix Potter? I could go on all day!
on 12 October 2010
I loved this book as a small child, a simple but powerful tale of the importance of valuing what you have and being careful about what you wish for. It is wonderful to be able to share it with my children now.
on 25 January 2007
I have read and taught with this book with children from 3 to 8 years old and, without exception, they have been fascinated and moved by the book as well as stimulated to think about the effects of all our rubbish on the environment.