on 19 May 2017
I originally bought this as a present for my Brother-in-law. Sadly, I was caught by him doing a "quality control inspection" on it and it looked even more inspiring and up-to-date than my previous Tom Ang books. I was forced to hand it over and now he's regularly getting 1st prizes in the Photo Socs Competitions| Its a beautiful book and I wish it was mine!
on 4 October 2009
As a fairly experienced photographer but quite a novice where digital is concerned I had been looking for a "grown-up" book to guide me through . At last I have found one , this a is a most excellent boook and I can heartily recommend it . It is clear and (so far as I can tell) accurate, beautifully illustrated , and full of useful advice and comment.
on 27 April 2017
good
on 30 April 2017
Present. Wife loved it.
on 2 July 2009
Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image-manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures

This book is everything I have been looking for to raise the standard of my photography from the mundane. the approach regarding the reader is so much more helpful; suggesting alternative techniques that could produce a result you might not have considered. Tom Ang has included a set of assignments, by which you can try out the various ideas.
all in all buying this book is without any doubt been a greater help than all the monthly magazines; excellent value for your money.
on 15 April 2009
I am a keen amateur photographer of many years standing and the majority of the books that I buy are purely "technical" in the sense of with new to me software, "Classroom in a Book..." or a major upgrade on something I'm familiar with such as Photoshop, I rarely buy "concept books" a Scott Kelby walk through with his dreadful sense of humour is the closest I get to that.

Perhaps I bought this book just because one of my sons had worked with him on a photographic magazine in the past so that I knew the name. However and for whatever reason, I bought the book and am truly delighted, even for a jaded palette, it is truly inspirational work. In graphical design terms it is beautifully laid out and full of great images. Each section ends with a 'project element' for you to try yourself.

This is not a "follow me/these steps" type of book. It takes a 'topic' and explores the potential whilst explaining the concept and the technical details plus the "why's", the idea is that you take these 'principles' and apply them to something equivalent where you live.

If you think that you know everything, this is not a book for you. If you know little and want to be led by the hand, also not for you. However, if you know a 'bit' and are prepared to go to a higher level in "your photography", well worth buying, reading and using - excellent !
0Comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2014
I am just coming to the end of a City and Guilds photo imaging course, this book has helped me no end, giving me ideas and also points of reference.
on 22 January 2017
Bought for Christmas present and advised great book
on 25 January 2017
Fine.
on 9 June 2011
I have a number of books that deal with digital photography, and by and large I am happy with them all - I wouldn't have bought them otherwise - but this book stands head and shoulders above the rest. I would describe myself as a keen amateur with no formal training, but experience that dates back over 25 years of taking photos. I've never done a college course or belonged to a photographic club or society.
I feel it is important to give this little resume because, all books are aimed at a particular market and I think I'm typical of the market this book is aiming at. If you're a professional this book may be too simplistic, or if you're an absolute beginner it may be too involved, but for me, it's perfect.
It's the college course or tuition I never had, and I already understand enough to make it meaningful.
The book is laid out over a series of 20 tutorials, each dealing with a different aspect of photography, ranging from using your camera's controls to photography as a fine art medium. Each section has a detailed discussion of its focus, along with detailed analysis of different pictures, comments from professionals who have worked on the units and an assessment whereby you can test your new understanding. If this makes the book sound like a dry textbook, then I'm sorry, it certainly isn't, but is a book that you can dip into and ead for pleasure too.
I hope it suits you as much as it did me.