Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2012, 11:19:56 GMT
Megan R says:
I've got and watched all of the original series and I'm wondering whether to move on to Brotherhood. Though from what I've read on it, the series are basically the same. Is that true? Is it worth going onto the next series?

A reply would be much appreciated, thank you. [:

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012, 10:08:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Nov 2012, 10:16:37 GMT
Ripdexoo says:
I definitely wouldn't say that they are "basically" the same. The brothers' quest for their original bodies ist the same, also the principle of alchemy (equivalent exchange), and a lot of characters come back in Brotherhood. And watching the first 13 episodes, you'll recognize a lot of the first anime.
But then the story takes a different course and it's much bigger, much more detailed and thought through. The ending is really good (I was always disappointed with the first end, the film "Conqueror of Shamballah" didn't change that). There are a lot of new characters (people from Xing, Briggs soldiers) that I really like. How the homunculi are created is different (so e.g. Sloth is another "person"), and finally we get to see more of Colonel Mustangs fighting skills (in the first series they always said how powerful he was but you didn't get to see much of it). Having bought brotherhood just about 3 weeks ago, watching it, than rewatching the first anime and now watching brotherhood again more leisurely, I can definitely say that I prefer brotherhood and will recommend it. But it sure isn't bad having seen the first anime before, because in the beginning brotherhood really rushes through (in the first 13 episodes you get to see most of the stories that the first anime showed in 26 episodes). And it's fun to recognize some remarks that are referring to the first anime (e.g. Ed refers to Al's habit of "hiding stray cats in his armour", that's something you don't actually see in brotherhood, but was shown in the first anime).
The first anime took more detours and it took quite a while to find out about the homunculi etc.
Brotherhood knows where it wants to go to and follows its way straight through. You'll find out about the homunculi and their creation sooner than in the first anime, but the big plan behind it all takes some time to be discovered. And there's no rushing after the first 13 episodes. ;)

P.S.: In case you don't know yet: The first series was made when the manga was still published and so they invented their own end, brotherhood was made after the manga ended and it follows the manga-story.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012, 12:26:26 GMT
Ditto with Ripdexoo. Brotherhood is very very different. I've read reviews by people who prefer the original series, but I have a hard time following their arguments. I watched the first series, loved it, watched the movie, hated it, felt dissatisfied for a while, then watched Brotherhood and my jaw hit the floor. It's so good that it blows the original out of the water. I'll divide the differences into a few areas.

Plot: The plot is bigger and more elaborate in Brotherhood, without being hard to follow. We get more characters, more places, and a deeper world. All the characters you knew and loved in the original get more love here, and the conclusions to their stories will be all the more satisfying. Without giving too much away, the villains and their plan are completely different and have much wider implications.

Tone: I'd say this is the biggest difference between the original adatation and Brotherhood. The tone of the original series was very dark, dismal and depressing. I do like dark anime, but towards the end of the series it seemed like there was a lot of stuff that was needlessly dark or didn't go anywhere, and was just there to be gruesome. In Brotherhood horrible things *do* happen, but they have a major impact on the plot & characters when they do. Eventually the characters grow to overcome the horrors that they have seen and become much stronger. Character development is a very strong theme in Brotherhood, and I'd say it's the defining quality it has over the original adaptation.

Animation quality: The animation quality is way higher in Brotherhood. It had a much bigger budget to work from and it shows. There are some anti-climactic fights towards the end of the original series where the action is pretty low key, and I think this is fair considering their budget. Not so in Brotherhood where the characters get to let loose with everything they've got and show us what they're made of.

No Filler! Last thing: Brotherhood doesn't have any filler episodes like the original series! The pacing is great!

Overall, I'd definitely recommend it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  25 Nov 2012
Latest post:  13 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.