Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 May 2013
Deep rolling vocals from Mr Laurie, growling vocal from Taj Mahal; bell like high notes from the ladies. Real blues for the boys and girls who like the blues not the plethora of crap that we get in the pop charts. This is how the blues is played. Sit back and listen and enjoy. There is only one weak track on here....You work it out yourself as your tastes will be different to mine. Listen to the macabre send me to the electric chair and enjoy something almost so authentic that you could be wandering around the Mississippi delta in a pair of old shoes.
For an actor this is superb music. Hugh clearly loves what he does and with this album it shows.
Everybody likes the very personable Hugh Laurie, who has entertained us from Fry and Laurie to Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster via Peter's Friends and Stuart Little and finally mega-stardom with House. This album carries on from his previous one `Let them talk' with more classy jazzy blues, with Laurie holding his own with his talented American musicians but taking slightly more of a back seat by leaving some of the vocals to others. Taj Mahal sings on Little Brother Montgomery's `Vicksburg Blues', while Jean McClain sings on the opener `St. Louis Blues', as well as `Send me to the 'lectric chair' and Jelly Roll Morton's `I Hate A Man Like You'. Guatemalan singer Gaby Moreno handles Joe McCoy's `The Weed Smoker`s Dream' (Why Don't You Do Right?) as well as dueting with Laurie on the sexy bilingual tango `Kiss of fire' and both women rip it up on a fabulous rollicking version of the title track, Sister Rosetta Tharpe's `Didn't it rain'. (Jean McClain deserves to get her own recording contract after her contributions here.) My favourite track featuring Hugh was his laid-back, very personal take on the old blues standard 'Careless love'.

I've seen less than kind reviews of this record, which I find hard to understand - it is well-played by Laurie and his all-star Copper Bottom Band (although I thought that guitarists Kevin Breit and Greg Leisz were under-used), well-produced by Joe Henry and there is lots of variety both in the material and the different singers. I thought there was a good mix of older and more modern songs - the album closes with Alan Price's `Changes' and also include's Dr. John's 'Wild Honey'. There is also a nice mixture of well-known and more obscure songs, from the show-business `One for my baby' usually associated with Frank Sinatra to Jack Dupree's druggy down and out `Junkers Blues'. If you liked the multi-million-selling `Let them talk' then I'm sure you'll also like this, which is more of the same really - with Hugh's love of the music again shining through.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2013
Slower and even more bluesy than the first album. Wasn't sure about it at first, but seeing and hearing some of the tracks live has made it much easier to listen to as you can picture the live show as you listen. The band is tremendous and Laurie is clearly having the time of his life playing with them. Also 2 fabulous 'unknown' singers with voices that put most of the current crop of 'stars' to shame.
on 26 June 2013
Such great tracks played by such a wonderful group of musicians all clearly enjoying what they do. Hugh Laurie is just so talented and easily holds his own. Not keen on only one track out of all of the others. Every bit as good as his first album, maybe even better but definitely worth adding to your collection.
on 5 July 2013
Love this music - went to see the band at the Hammersmith Apollo and the live performance was just as good as the cd. Very impressive!
on 20 October 2014
Hugh Laurie is passionate about the blues. My favourite songs are kiss of fly and i hate you and wild honey. Hugh, keep singing the blues as you are a great musician and a great piano player. I kept tapping my feet listening to the music in my kitchen last week. Now I love the blues.
on 5 June 2013
What a talented guy! I didn't think he could make a better recording than his last one but he could! He has fascinated us since se saw his first foray I to this environment on TV. A must buy for everyone's college action.
on 2 June 2013
After seeing Hugh Laurie on the television talking about this album, I wanted to explore his work further. It took me back to the real days of New Orleans Jazz. I am delighted to have this album in my eclectic collection
on 2 June 2013
I had high expectations of "Didn't It Rain", as Laurie's first album "Let Them Talk" had been so amazingly good! And Laurie didn't disappoint me. The album is just great! Unfortunately, I cannot describe every song in minute detail, supported by the correct technical terms, as I just lack that kind of knowledge. All I can say about the music is: I loved it and, at least in my opinion, everyone who liked "Let Them Talk" will love it too.

The special edition is certainly worth bying!!! That is partly due to the fact, that the special edition contains five additional songs (that I especially enjoyed) and partly due to the little book. This book does not only function as a CD case, but provides pictures of the recording-sessions, information on the songs' origins/authors and also the impressions that Laurie and Henry had, when making this amazing album.

The album (the special edition in particular) is definitely worth the money spent!!!
on 9 May 2013
After seeing the Hugh Laurie TV leader and having enjoyed Let Them Talk I was not disappointed in his latest release. This is great series of tracks to listen to in quiet moments. What an accomplished musician he is and he has gathered together a group of top talents to work with. Thoroughly recommended