Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 May 2009 02:39:47 BDT
Me and my brother had to play merry hell with my mother to be allowed to stay up at night watching V: The Original Mini-Series back in the 1980's, and again for V: The Final Battle when that aired. We were just kids at the time, but we absolutely loved V to bits. However, neither my brother or I remember seeing this 19 episode TV series on UK television.... and we have both only viewed this series via this DVD set. Wikipedia lists this series as "a series that aired in the USA in 1984", but that is all it says on the matter.

Can anyone confirm if it did actually air here in the UK back in the 80's, and on what channel and roughly when? If it did, I'm left scratching my head as to how my brother and I only learned of its existence years later via the internet.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2009 23:49:10 BDT
Hi, me and my brother were the same! Yep the series did air in the UK on Itv in 1985 (i think) Hope this helps.

Posted on 10 Oct 2009 12:21:50 BDT
L. M. Cull says:
I seem to remember it being on show called "Late Night Late" (I think, can't find reference to it) which screened a lot of the better eighties sci-fi, such as the two BSG specials. It was on in the early hours of the morning in the mid eighties.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2011 13:29:04 GMT
Rich says:
This was shown in the HTV region on a Monday night late. I think other regions showed it on different nights.

Posted on 3 Jun 2011 00:33:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jun 2011 00:39:40 BDT
Hmmm, you need to be over 40 years of age to understand what often happened with American sci-fi series when shown in Britain in the 1970s and 1980s. We all watched the original "V" mini-series in summer 1984 when it was nationally networked. In those days, regional ITV stations could opt out of showing series if their programme schedulers were bloody minded enough to do so and put something else on. The 19 x 1 hour episodes were offered to the individual ITV stations from 1985/6 onwards. As the series had already been cancelled in the USA by this time, of course the ITV stations didn't care for it - the series was OLD NEWS by then and CANCELLED. So, they individually chose to bung it on when late night television got underway (for those who don't remember, until the mid 1980s, around 11.30pm each night British television closed down for the night ..... no 24/7 programming in those days!). Most ITV stations purchased it, but a few didn't and bypassed it completely. I remember being eager to see it, living in the North-west, was gutted when London ITV fans got to see it early in 1985. Granada didn't pick it up until 2 years later!!!!!

Following sci-fi series on ITV was always a hit and miss affair. The original Battlestar Galactica was a classic example. The "film version" of it was shown on ITV in 1978, but the hour long episodes after it had to wait until 1981/2 before being premiered in Wales only on the new S4C channel. It finally made it to ITV London (Thames TV) around 1983, and Granada around 1984.

But the worst fate for a sci-fi series was series 2 of Gerry Anderson's "Space 1999". Again, not nationally networked, it first appeared on ATV Midlands on early Thursday evenings in September 1976, the region I was living in at the time, where I got to see 8 episodes of it. I then moved to live on the island of Anglesey off the coast of North Wales (which received HTV Wales). During 1977 the series debuted on most of the rest of the ITV regional channels (Granada actually started showing it at 7.30pm on Friday evenings in the days before Coronation Street expanded its number of episodes and soaps dominated the schedules)...but I couldn't see it as the signal was too weak. HTV decided NOT to buy the series despite myself and over 200 fans getting a petition asking for it to be shown. HTV finally bought the series to show on weekday mornings (when I was at school!!) at 10.30am. But they only showed 17 of the 24 episodes. Fans in Wales had to wait until 1999 when BBC2 finally nationally networked the series to get to see the last 7 episodes finally transmitted on Welsh airwaves. It remains an absolute disgrace that HTV got away with ignoring it for so long. It was also one of the reasons why ITC, suffering losses after the expensive movie flop "Raise the Titanic", decided that if British channels were spurning the series, then so would American channels, and so they axed it. I hated the executives at HTV responsible for that.

So, to answer the original post, it depends what regional ITV station area you lived in during the 1980s which would have dictated whether the last 19 episodes of "V" were actually shown at all, or if they were, screened at 10.30pm or even after 1am in the morning when you were probably tucked up in bed.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2012 00:15:45 BDT
SID .V. says:
Yes it did on ITV about 6 months to a year later. The time slot moved to after the news at 10 around 10:40 rather than the usual 9:00 slot it occupied when the original mini series & Final Battle went out for a whole week, hope this helps.
From what i remember the original series went out every night Mon-Fri first part at 9:00 then continued after the news.

Posted on 2 Apr 2015 02:22:06 BDT
fruitloops says:
I also don't recall ever seeing it. I remember V The Final Battle not being shown in the Yorkshire region (whether it was shown at a later date or not i have no idea) because i had to move my tv on to the floor in the corner to pick up a very ropey signal on Tyne Tees to watch it! Watching V late at night, lying on the floor and barely being able to see what was happening on a very snowy black and white portable tv is something i will never forget.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  19 May 2009
Latest post:  2 Apr 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions