on 31 January 2001
If you are researching your Family History you will find this book of great value. It clearly gives information in alphabetical form including an extensive glossary of terms the researcher may encounter and details of sources etc. Also included are photographs of relevant documents to make recognition easier. There are also interesting notes and tables. All this making the book an essential for all serious family historians whether professional or amateur.
on 25 August 2001
An excellent source book for clarifying basic queries and the more complex. It also encourages further research, I have often picked up the book to look something up and half an hour later have become so absorbed chasing words and phrases!
Also good as a reminder to keep you focused, I have several similar books but this is amongst the best.
The hard cover makes it more expensive but this is a bonus as it is a well produced book which should last and last. Other paperback books I have have fallen apart from moderate use.
A definite for the Christmas stocking or birthday list.
on 10 March 2009
The Dictionary of Genealogy (Reference)
I wish I had had this book when I first started out researching family history. I would recommend this to anyone starting out tracing their family history as well as the experienced genealogist as it brings all the rough 'reminder notes' together in an easily accessable manual.
on 10 April 2011
An excellent resource for family history and general history terms and data. I have used this at various times and found it to have come up trumps each time. A good inverstment that will be useful for years to come.
on 2 July 2009
I have not read this book myself but have given it to two male friends in their 70's. Both seemed delighted with it.
on 22 February 2015