Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 23 February 2012
Maybe it's a sign of middle age but I find the derivation of place names fascinating - especially when played as a guessing game in the car. This book is an authoritative and mainly very plausible reference to place names. I've only found one or two that are not included - this makes the perfect book for the car, or the smallest room.
on 10 June 2012
Bought this as a christmas present for my parents. I was having trouble knowing what to buy for them and saw this suggested in a sunday supplement, as they love to travel around the British Isles i thought it would be a good novelty present. However it's so much more than that and they are thrilled with it. Great to keep in the car when you are out travelling and wondering why towns and villages have such unusual names. They are yet to find a place not listed and i would certainly recommend this book as a gift for those tricky customers who have everything!
on 14 February 2013
When I am driving around the countryside and for many years I wondered "What does that funny village name means?". I bought this book and found it to be well laid out, very educational and fun. Makes a great book to leave on your coffee table. It always get picked up and the reader ends up engrossed and having a laugh at some of the names. Great buy.
on 14 June 2014
This is one of my favourite ever books & a must-have on a UK road trip. Fascinating to dip into to find out the origins of all those funny place names you've wondered about & it's surprising how many really places are included. There were, however, quite a few places in Cornwall missing. If you like this book, check out 'Origin of Words', which is also brilliant.
on 5 December 2011
Very informative and interesting to read. Have had fun looking up places that I have visited or lived in. I am just a little surprised that so many Republic Of Ireland place names are included in a dictionary of British place names though. However as I have been to Eire on several holidays I find the descriptions just as fascinating!
on 10 May 2015
DEAR SIR OR MADAN: I intend to purchase this book on Amazon but I am wondering if the ancient Isle of Man is featured in it? The Isle, of course, is not in Great Britain. Neither is Ireland (North OR South) so why are both these ancient Celtic Isles featured in it? Even so, this is the kind of book that keeps me occupied. I understand County Cork in SOUTHERN Ireland has nearly FIVE THOUSAND PLACE NAMES in their huge county, the biggest county in ALL Ireland. Why the Post Office does not give each hamlet, town, village, city, whatever, a postal number, I do not know. I feel it would speed up delivery letters. Advertisers everywhere would appreciate it when it comes to analyzing data. With just under ten thousand placenames in ALL ireland, heaven knows how many thousands there are on the island of Great Britain. Probably a hundred thousand ! I would like to give this book 5 Stars!
YOURS FAITHFULLY, DESMOND, SUN-MAY-10-2015.
on 17 June 2013
I was given this book from my Wish List for Fathers' Day. My initial reaction is disappointing. I tried 3 places, one we had lived in and two we holidayed in (New Haw, Marloes, Melvich) and NONE of them was in. But hopefully it'll take the place of a long departed Readers Digest British Isles Atlas that had such a list, but was definitely not a pocket book!
on 2 August 2013
I had heard about this book some time ago, but dismissed it as probably being just a gimmick. However having bought one eventually I find it an essential travelling companion. I so enjoyed just browsing as well as looking up places I visit that I have bought a copy for someone else!
Every motorist should have one in their glove compartment
on 5 December 2012
Bought as a stocking filler and warmly received by my daughter in law. What a very interesting compilation. I might buy one for myself. Thank you.
on 21 March 2013
fab, my son was thrilled, lovely idea for a gift, easy to find information, would reccommend this to a friend.