- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
The Diary of Samuel Pepys: A Radio 4 Classic Serial (BBC Classic Collection) Audio Cassette – Audiobook, 3 Jan 1995
|New from||Used from|
Audio Cassette, Audiobook, 3 Jan 1995
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
History, as most school children will atest to, is often a dry and boring subject. What this play has attempted to do is make it entertaining! In that respect, it certainly is. I suppose it is a case of horses for courses here. If you are not a history buff, and like me, you know of Samuel Pepys, only because you were taught at school that he was the diarist who described the Plague and the Great Fire of London - then this actually gives you a good view into the life and times of this man! And what an exciting man he was!
OK - this is a lighthearted look at the subject - but this is first and foremost a piece of entertainment, and should be seen as such! When first broadcast on Radio 4, that was exactly how it was advertised!
The acting is superb. The play is witty, sexy and fun - but what stood out for me most of all was the beauty of the the language and turn of phrase!
If you want all the facts regarding Samuel Pepys life and times, there are his diaries and numerous text books on the subject; this is not for you. But if you want a marvelous piece of entertainment, with a little bit of history from one of the most exciting eras - then you can't go wrong with this! "Make shift Sir!"
Not for the serious history buff.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Essays, Journals & Letters
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1701-1900
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Georgian to Victorian: 1701-1900
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain > England
- Books > History > Europe > Renaissance
- Books > History > Social & Cultural
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Radio
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Theory & Movements