Diary Drawings: Mental Illness and Me Paperback – 6 May 2010
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
These witty, wretched drawings are a plea for mental illness to be treated like other illnesses, as something that happens, not something that someone, somewhere ... has to be blamed for (The Dubliner 2010-05-13)
An illuminating, hopeful book, highly recommended for anyone involved in the care, treatment or counselling of people who experience severe mental distress (Therapy Today 2010-10-01)
Her acute observations ... coupled with verbal wite, ameliorate the rawness of her anguish (The Lancet 2010-08-07)
I would go without food for a week just to get a ticket for her next show (Nigel Slater)
[Praise for Bobby Baker] Exceptionally funny, Bobby Baker is a performance artist of rare quality and distinction. (Daily Telegraph)
Bobby Baker, over the years has produced a remarkable - and immensely important - body of work that has uncovered secret lives and found the extraordinary in the most mundane events, from feeding the baby to going to the supermarket. (Guardian)
Diary Drawings is an intimate reading and viewing experience that will appeal to readers interested in the relationship between art, therapy, and mental health. (ForeWord Reviews, USA 2011-01-01)
Bobby Baker is, in her own words, 'a woman and an artist'. But for 11 years, while creating internationally acclaimed performance pieces such as Box Story and How to Live, she also privately battled severe mental illness. These drawings tell the story.
Winner of the MIND Book of the Year 2011See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
P.... A.... I.... N... what's that spell.
Guilt. Cabbage leaves and cornflakes. Stains. Bondage bandage. Soiled.
Some settling of the contents may have occurred during transit.
Bobby Baker throws the doors open. Well maybe not..pushed aside, using the handles provided.
Come on in, all welcome.
No corner hidden or too dark. This is it.
Lots of blood too. And why not, we have 5 liters sloshing around us.
Some of its bound to spill occasionally.
Detailed lines and lovely colouring in. Lovely.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Art Issues
- Books > Biography > Artists, Architects & Photographers
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Psychology
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Living with Cancer & Other Illnesses
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Diseases & Disorders > Mental Diseases & Disorders
- Books > Science & Nature > Reference > Psychology & Psychiatry
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychiatry