Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 12 August 2011
I too have waited for it to arrive
after reading the first page knew I had read
and it was Blue lights and long nights which
inside the book it has at the top of the page
very disappointed also think its quite naughty and will put people
off buying his future NEW books
on 7 August 2011
Yes, do BEWARE, I had already bought and read Blue Lights and Long Nights and was looking forward to this new book arriving. Alas I was to find out that it is the same book but under a new title. PLEASE DONT DO THIS publishers.
on 21 August 2012
I've now read all Les's books, and, whilst I agree that the 're-branding' of this book leads to disappointment, its content doesn't.
OK ... I'll come clean, I worked alongside Les in the 80's & 90's, serving my time at 'The Street'. I put in more hours per day in the 1989 Dispute than ever I did on the road, and was always amazed at the kindness and generosity of the people of B'ham. From 5am starts on the 'ramp' in New St, (entrance to the Bull Ring), to the evenings around the Brazier at the Street with Colour Sgt Cox, from the communal meals provided by Olga's Curry, JJ's Bacon Butties and M&S Foodhall's "sell by" goodies to the long nights in Curzon St from where we operated our own Birmingham City approved Ambulance Service , I came to know and respect many in the 'old' WMAS. For many years I worked at Coventry and in South B'ham, many of the tales Les relates were echoed or repeated in those areas.
Like Les, I could fill books with tales of unusual calls and heart rending cases. It was not unusual for some of us to cry with the relatives of deceased babies, or to explode with anger at another senseless domestic violence case. I saw good and evil on a daily basis. I dealt with 8 murders in one year. I was placed under 24hr armed police guard when a gang sought to shut me up, and the mortuary became a second home at times.
However, as one can discern in Les's writings,as the years passed, things were getting worse. As Dave, a 28 years service veteran, said to me when he retired early, "When the laughter stops, Its time to get out son!"
So, faced with Corporate Politics and a fragile mental state bought on by 30+ years of emergency service work, I 'got out' ... just as Les did.
This book is the best illustration of the nightmare that Ambulance work in a big, busy City can become. Read it, it's an era lost forever now.
on 20 August 2011
Very disappointed to find that this new book by Les Pringle was actually a reprint of a previous book only under a new title.
on 1 January 2013
Les Pringle has the job of to a T, forget all the other blogs and books about "Super Hero's" in the ambulance service, this is day to day life in the "Big Yellow Taxi". A must read for all who work or are thinking of joining the ambulance service.
on 1 June 2016
I wrote the paperback copy of this when I was in on my hols in the Dominican a few years ago I work for the same amb service (WMAS) & found it hilarious but also sad in places, a fantastically written book by an extremely good paramedic & author. Would definitely recommend & would also read again
on 27 February 2015
Les Pringle has great gifts, not only in his chosen career but in writing. I didn't want the book to end but couldn't put it down!! I just wish he would write more books. Highly recommended!
Louise
on 13 April 2013
Ive given it four stars because of the condition of the book. Well read and well bent but its ok.

The contents are spot on as usual with Les Pringles work... he and I served around the same time but I was with
Liverpool.

Les covers it all..the highs and lows, and although I recommend this book to all ex ambulance personel of that era
I also recommend it to none ex ambulance workers as an insight to how it used to be.
on 17 June 2013
If you want to join the ambulance service, then read this book. You have to laugh, get upset, or even cry. Then you do it all again in the next shift. It why you carry on working with the ambulance service.
on 27 October 2012
This book was a con. Already done under different name. It should have stated this on the cover. Why would anyone want to sell the same book but under a different title. Publishers should have known this.