on 8 March 2010
What can I say that hasn't already been said? The Dewalt 12V Drill/Drivers are, in my opinion, the best in their class. The weight, balance, range of torque settings - and even the superior battery charger (which has overcharge protection and a charge indicator) - all ooze quality. You must of course get the version with two batteries!

My main reason for posting however is to disagree with reviewers who recommend an 18V cordless drill instead. My own experience is that you need two power drills in your toolkit: a 12V drill/driver for subtle, light duty work, and a corded drill for those times when you need raw power. I don't see much point in having anything in between (perhaps my opinion would be different if I was doing a lot of heavy duty work up ladders). Maybe I've just been unlucky, but no matter how I fiddle with the torque setting I've never found an 18V(+) cordless drill that has the fine control that a good 12V model (like this one) offers. After you have reamed out the head of one too many screws you learn that power isn't everything!
24 people found this helpful
on 25 March 2013
bought this nearly two years ago when I started to renovate. It's still going but the batteries are starting to flake.
So far I've used it for about anything you can imagine:
- screwed in more than 2000 drywall screws
- drilled many moles in wood while making a huge shed
- drilled (marking) holes in concrete
- drilled holes in brick
- used it to assemble closets (use a softer setting to not kill your friends IKEA cupboard)
- my dad used it when rebuilding his kitchen

I can't think of any time that it didn't cut it. Don't go nuts though and think you can puncture fortified concrete with it

Positive:
- extreme value for money (I payed 89pounds)
- it's 'only' 12V but it destroys my dad's 18V value brand
- the drill settings are handy so alternate between soft and rough work
- perfectly balanced in your hand for mane one handed jobs

Negative:
- you can kill your batteries if you forget your loader. After two years they last about 3 hours or constant use. At the start they lasted about 6 hours
- replacement batteries are not cheap
on 22 November 2010
I had a Dewalt cordless drill and was unable to use it as the two batteries, after 8 years of constant use in cabinet making, died out!! I was so pleased with the product, that I decided to buy a similar one to the one I already had, so as to have the possibility of having 2 to work with!! Since they both come with a spare battery. I now have both of them working in perfect order.
If you are hesitant on buying this product, hesitate no more!!! It is a great product and the supplier was also great at sending the product before the stipulated time. Thank you very much for the great service and the excellent product.

Michael Scerri
Malta
3 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2010
Solid appearance and having used it for a bit of DIY it seems very good. I'll be a lot happier when I can open the accessory case that I ordered with it. The cover seems as inpenetrable as a child-proof pillbox!

Batteries last a good time and it's great having a spare battery pack. The case is very solid and seems well-made although the catches are going to drive me mad.

Very pleased with my dewalt drill.
6 people found this helpful
on 15 June 2011
as a keen diy person i need something that i can trust and will do the work for me,
having just used the dewalt dc 740ka drill this is just what i wanted with the drill coming with two batteries,i can finish the work without waiting for the batteries charging up also comes with carry case which is very light highly delighted would buy from amazon againDewalt DC740KA 12 Volt Professional Drill Driver, 2 Batteries 1.3 Ah and Carry CaseDewalt DC740KA 12 Volt Professional Drill Driver, 2 Batteries 1.3 Ah and Carry Case
on 29 November 2014
Not a bad product, but have to have a mains powered one also for drilling walls, etc.. - not quite powerfull enough for that. But usefull for jobs where extension cables are absent or a pain to organise. Generally versatile.
on 6 January 2014
This is the first decent cordless drill I have had and so far it has been very good indeed. It is possibly not the most powerful in the DeWalt range but it was so inexpensive and only gets occasional use and I find it more than adequate: also, having two batteries sees me through any job.
on 11 February 2009
this De Walt product etc was bought for my husband after he borrowed the same from a friend and raved about it , he is extremely pleased with it and I found the Amazon price, after searching other sites and shops, to be excellent value.
12 people found this helpful
on 21 June 2012
I can't add anything to the good reviews about the product that hasn't already been said, so this is about Power Tools Pro. I'd never heard of them until I made this purchase. I'm a wary internet user and only made the purchase because Amazon's undoubted good name gave me some degree of confidence of money back if I met with a problem. I ordered the drill on a Friday and it arrived on the Tuesday - excellent service. The delivery note was stamped as checked by two different people, so I cannot doubt Power Tools Pro commitment to service. I will use them again if I need another power tool - and the price is right of course.
on 19 November 2013
I had one of these before and was very happy with it, the only reason I had to buy a new one is that both my batteries stopped holding their charge and it was nearly as cheap to buy the whole package than to buy replacement batteries. I only use it around the house for DIY and it does the job well.

See one answered question