Windows Phone 8 Development Internals (Developer Reference (Paperback)) Paperback – 4 Jul 2013
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Andrew Whitechapel is a senior program manager for the Windows Phone Application Platform team, performing scoping and design for the application platform (both native and managed). He has written several books, including Windows Phone 7 Development Internals.
Sean McKenna is a Senior Program Manager on the Windows Phone Developer Platform team. He has been responsible for a number of key features, including local database support and app-to-app communication.
Top customer reviews
It is split into 4 major sections. The first section "Core Features" is a crash course into how Windows Phone works, and teaches how to create an app. Not just how to create an app, but how to use the features to your advantage. This becomes a detailed source of information, which replaces the frantic googling/binging I needed to do when starting to develop an app. Pretty much all the basic features are covered, from Navigation, IsolatedStorage and Data Binding, all the way to the sensor platform, and the application lifecycle model.
I would recommend this first section to anyone who has an interest in Windows Phone app development, coming from an intermediate level of development for other platforms. Whilst the section itself is quite large (400 pages) there are lots of code samples, and gives a very good foundation knowledge.
The remaining sections give an even deeper dive into the new features in Windows Phone 8, and how to upgrade your application from 7.x to 8. This book has better explanations for a lot of the key features than on MSDN, and it is in a much easier to digest format.
My only criticism of the book is that the code samples are only available in C# format. Whilst this isn't a big issue, as most of the "Target Audience" would be developers coding in this language. However, for those who are experienced with Visual Basic, you may need to covert some of the samples to get the most benefit.
Overall, I would strongly recommend this book. No matter what your experience level, it will provide real value to you, and will be an excellent reference for the various features found in Windows Phone 8
Disclosure - I was gifted a copy of the book for review purposes
My only problem with this book was that it was slightly out of date, for example it describes The Twitter API as using 1.0, not 1.1.
Overall a great, informative book. Not the kind that takes you through creating sample applications, but provides you with knowledge of how and why things should be done a certain way.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Computer Science > Architecture & Microprocessors
- Books > Computing & Internet > Computer Science > Operating Systems
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Video
- Books > Computing & Internet > Hardware
- Books > Computing & Internet > Microsoft Windows > Applications > Access > Programming
- Books > Computing & Internet > Microsoft Windows > Operating Systems
- Books > Computing & Internet > Networking & Security > Network Topics
- Books > Computing & Internet > Networking & Security > Wireless
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Algorithms
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Games
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Design Patterns
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > 3D Studio Max
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > Maya
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Animation & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Internet Applications
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics & Animation