on 26 February 2016
This is the third and last volume in the Trinity trilogy (after Betrayal and Revenge).

Well I’m not sure how to summarize this book. So many things happen to our Mary Sue, Gary Stu and their magical children and friends: numerous comings and goings from the Heartwood to all four corners of Tallinor and Cipres, catching Goth and losing him (again!), trying to outwit the evil god Orlac (who turns out to be not so bad in the end – but don’t fret, there’s someone even eviller to takes his place as great villain).

Still, the characters are likeable, even though they’re totally improbable (like Tor’s blue eyes, which are… incredible). But the story in interminable and yet it left me in the lurch. I don’t know, I have mixed feeling about this series.
on 3 July 2011
I read the Quickening trilogy recently, was half way through it and enjoying it immensely so my girlfriend bought me book one to the Trinity series. Little did she know I'd be sorely disappointed with the ending. Thing is, I'm a Yorkshire-man and so I wanted to get my girlfriends monies worth out of this book, so I started the Trinity series and gave ol' Fiona the benefit of the doubt.
Unfortunately I enjoyed it enough to see it through to the third book and the finale.
What can I say she can write fairly well, as in, it is easy too read.
***SEMI PLOT SPOILER***
The problem lies in her paper thin plot lines that are put in place just to stop certain people meeting etc. etc. so it can be panned out a bit more...
This girl is OBSESSED with tall men...(lol)Finally the main problem I have with her is her endings... they are terrible. Basically she semi defines a rule book and then tosses it out the window when she needs to finish her book.

Basically I feel cheated by a Deus ex machina...and the Quickening was a major one.. the trinity is beyond that... it's more like "sod it, I have your money by now".
on 3 June 2009
Thank god its over. I had been given the whole trilogy and I have just finished the last book.

This one is by far and wide the worst of the entire series. Most of it is simply filler while the author tries to pad the story out for 599 pages. Without giving any of the story away, it follows the same format as the first two - the lead character carries on all over the place looking god like, his companions get sexually assualted, they all have a good laugh about it, they go to a wood, the secondary baddy never dies etc. There are a few serious problems with the story towards the end, I can only assume this is because the author ran out of other fantasy series to copy. There are some pretty poor stereotypes in there too, all the goodies are beautiful, god like and charming. All the baddies are ugly, insane and appear to be deviants.

The biggest shame about this series is that the author can write quite well, but seems to be unable to put together a decent story. There were some good elements here, but it never came to much.

I gave this one star, but again, it deserves none. I wont be passing this on to anyone else to read either, it wouldnt be fair on them.
on 24 January 2007
I read this book hoping for a return to the form of the first book. Sadly, it wasn't to be - the ending to the series was very predictable and was cut very short - what happened to the final battle we'd spent so long heading towards?

Also, while I liked the conflict between Orlac and Dorgryl (having them fight over the same body was clever), the character of Dorgryl was a real missed opportunity. He was basically another Goth - a brute, where a clever schemer would have been far more interesting.

I did enjoy this series, and it is well worth a read if you fancy some light, fun fantasy (along the same lines as Maggie Furey but a bit better). It's just a shame it didn't live up to the potential shown in the first book.
on 18 April 2007
Whilst I agree, that perhaps the third book in the trilogy, is somewhat lacking, I do find the other reviews surprising.

The long awaited battle definately disappoints, I still found this book to have "done the job".

With regards to the third son, it is in fact mentioned in Revenge, Sorrell does tell Tor, that after he had left there was a third son called Rueben, so he was infact mentioned, and there was an explanation for his appearance.

Not brilliant admittedly, but if you have read the other two, worth finishing it off!
on 13 November 2006
A waste of time. First book was very good, second was enjoyable but this is complete rubbish. Mindless. All the main characters look like gods and act like children. Avoid. For those of you like me who have already started the series and have to finish it, do so and feel cheated. For those who haven't started yet, don't!
on 4 August 2007
The only reason that this is 4 stars is because I havn't read the other two before it. So I was a bit confused about all the adopted and real children, the many husbands of Alyssa, what on earth the Paladin were, the whole Orlac/Dorgryl thing and a lot of other stuff that happened in the books before. I got this book by suprise and had just read Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan and was a bit bored with too long plots, predictable results and slightly weak characters. Therefore I decided not to bother with going through the rigmarol of finding the other two and reading them first. I just went ahead and read it.
After working out what was going on, which luckily didnt take too long, I began to really enjoy it. I know some people don't like plain good and evil plots and if you look harder you will see that it isn't all black and white, but I will admit that all the 'goodies' are stunningly handsome and beautiful and the 'baddies' happy to violently kidnap, murder and rape inoccent people.
The one thing that I found wierd about this book was the writers ability to switch from happy scenes of reunited friends and lovers to gruesome murder and rape scenes. I couldn't decide wether I liked the seamless changes for their cleverness or not.
However I am definitly going to read the other two and then my 41/2 stars may well move up to 5.
on 19 February 2010
The third of the trilogy and an amazing, interesting and attention keeping set. The ending on the middle book was a complete surprise and I believe I actually said 'WoW' rather loudly on completion. I hope she can keep the standard as high with all her subsequent books which I look forward to immensely
on 15 May 2013
Liked the heros and heroines and hated the bad guy. This was well written and left you wanting more. I have never been let down when reading a Fiona macintosh book
on 11 September 2010
it's hard work reading her books though once you've bought the 1st in a series you have to get the rest to find out what happens in the end.