- Note: Blu-ray discs are in a high definition format and need to be played on a Blu-ray player.
Other Sellers on Amazon
DER MÜDE TOD (Destiny) [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition
|Additional Blu-ray options||
|New from||Used from|
Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) is a service Amazon offers sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's warehouses, and Amazon directly does the picking, packing, shipping and customer service on these items. Something Amazon hopes you'll especially enjoy: FBA items are eligible for and for Amazon Prime just as if they were Amazon items.
If you're a seller, you can increase your sales significantly by using Fulfilment by Amazon. We invite you to learn more about this programme .
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Before directing numerous genre defining masterpieces such as Metropolis, M, and Spione, Fritz Lang was already defying cinematic conventions with Der müde Tod (literally, The Weary Death).
A young woman (Lil Dagover) confronts the personification of Death (Bernhard Goetzke), in an effort to save the life of her fiancé (Walter Janssen). Death weaves three romantic tragedies and offers to unite the girl with her lover, if she can prevent the death of the lovers in at least one of the episodes. Thus begin three exotic scenarios of ill-fated love, in which the woman must somehow reverse the course of destiny: Persia, Quattrocento Venice, and a fancifully rendered ancient China.
Rich in expressionist imagery and featuring innovative special effects work, Der müde Tod has often been overlooked amongst Lang s early work, but has been hugely influential, with directors such as Alfred Hitchcock and Luis Buñuel citing it as a direct influence on their work. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time in the UK in a new Dual-Format edition.
DUAL FORMAT FEATURES:
- High definition presentation from the superb 2K restoration
- Original German intertitles with optional English subtitles
- Score by Cornelius Schwehr, performed by the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra under the direction of conductor Frank Strobel
- Feature length audio commentary by film critic Tim Lucas
- A new video essay by David Cairns
- PLUS: A 44 PAGE BOOKLET featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp and an original review of the film from 1921
When I saw Destiny, I suddenly knew that I wanted to make movies. Something about this film spoke to something deep in me; it clarified my life and my vision of the world.--
LANG S EARLIEST EXTANT GREAT FILM! This new digital restoration of Destiny returns the film s cool greens, pensive blues, and fiery reds, thus aiding the emotional immediacy of a story whose characters all merit sympathy. The restoration work honours the intentions of a tale that itself treats on the theme of resurrection, one in which Death finds ways to bring lovers together across time and, by doing so, gives them second life.--Aaron Cutler, Brooklyn Magazine
FANTASTIC AND DREAM LIKE! The sets are magnificent and the shots and special effects are stunning (beyond 1921 state-of-the-art). A major work in [Lang s] canon.--Eric Monder, Film Journal International
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.