on 23 June 2017
Fair to good!
on 8 January 2014
Do not be put off by the title,it will become clear upon reading the book,this series is on a par with the Sharpe stories and a thoroughly enjoyable tale of triumph against formidable odds fighting Napoleon armies in Spain,the characters are unorthodox like Sharpe and thoroughly engaging.Must read for fans of Cornwall and historical fiction.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2014
I enjoyed this book but was very irritated by the way the hero,Welbeloved spoke in the script. Each time he says you or your it was spelled yew and yor. It spoiled the whole book for me and I won't be reading any more in the series should this affectation continue.
Was this an editing mistake? Every other character spoke normally. If misspellings annoy you I would think carefully before purchase
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 August 2014
I am sorry if this is your favourite Napoleonic series but....... total tosh.... completely lacking in historical accuracy or feasibility and totally unbelievable to any reader with the slightest knowledge of Napoleonic history or armies.

I struggled to get through the free sample without becoming frustrated but I am so glad I did not part with cash for the full books.
on 15 April 2014
I thought this was going to add to my passion for Forester and Patrick o`Brian but the moment the author started writing American accent it was all I could do to finish the first chapter; his characterisation of, what he considered the architypical British colonel - fat, useless, glutton of cartoon proportions was enough for me. I left the book, and, I fear, the author at the end of chapter one. I shan`t bother with any more of these idiots. `Yew`! Even American writers don`t use this sort of annoying gimmick.
on 1 November 2013
This series follows a parallel 'what if' story about the Peninsula War in which far more efficient weapons (these did exist at the time) are used by an elite 'commando' / SAS international unit roaming about the Iberian Peninsula causing mahem for the invading French.
The stories are fun & for a person familiar with the Lee Enfield/Springfield/ Mauser rifles of a century later the shear lethality of the weapons is credible (the reviewer held British 'marksman' badges for the Lee Enfield in the 1970s); A capable rifleman can hit 'man size' targets out to about 600yds (550metres) quite reliably using 'iron sights' so the typical distances of up to 300yds quoted in the books are credible & would have presented a nightmare to the Napoleonic troops of the early 1800s

Try to ignore the slightly eccentric book titles!
on 31 May 2014
As there was no characterisation. I got confused - was this a work of fact or fiction; if the latter, where's the character development. Wellbeloved did x, wellbeloved did y, wellbeloved did z. end of story. Paid 77p, but returned for a refund after (too many) a few chapters. Oh, and as another reviewer has mentioned, the attempting to write an American accent was irritating to a mind-altering degree, especially as it seemed to consist solely of writing "you" as "yew", everywhere his character used the word.

Trying (and, I sincerely hope, failing) to jump on the "Sharpe" bandwagon, but he is no Bernard Cornwell.

Beware of the gushing 5 star reviews - I suspect that the author has friends!
on 17 February 2016
Readable (despite the irritating error in converting to Kindle - "you" is invariably "yew") as long as you don't take it too seriously.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2014
This held my interest with its descripfions of the hardships endured on the journey to the coast and the clashes with the supporters of Napoleon en route. It was a trifle formulaic but this is probably inevitable in this type of novel, personally it didn't worry me but it may deter some. The scenic descriptions also provided interest.
on 15 August 2014
This is a rollicking good read for any fans of Napoleonic fiction, I know certain other authors have done peninsula wars to death with very much a similar theme, but having said that I enjoyed this book very much and look forward to possibly reading more of "colonel Welbeloved " and his merry band on further adventures.
e