Desert Christians: An Introduction to the Literature of Early Monasticism Paperback – 17 Jun 2004
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Dr Harmless has produced a comprehensive introduction to the major figures in the Egyptian tradition...the book is thoroughly impressive and will undoubtedly prove very useful...splendid resource. (Augustine Casiday, SJT)
this volume offers a solid, balanced, well-researched, and clearly written introduction to and survey of early Egyptian monasticism. (Tim Vivian, Sobornost)
There is no doubt that this is an engaging, fascinating, and informative study...It belongs on the shelf of any student of early church history and monasticism. (A. D. Rich, Journal of Theological Studies)
Why waste words? - this is a thoroughly admirable book ... an accomplished and unassuming piece of scholarship. (David Satran, Scripta Classica Israelica)
About the Author
William Harmless, S.J. is Professor of Theology at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. From 1996 to 2003, he held the Thomas E. Caestecker Chair of the Liberal Arts at Spring Hill College. He has been a member of the Society of Jesus since 1978 and is the author of Augustine and the Catechumenate (1995). His research on early monasticism has appeared in the journals Theological Studies, Church History, and Studia Patristica.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Religious History > Christianity
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Christian Living > Discipleship
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Church History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Church Institutions & Organizations
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Reference