on 8 July 2013
I was provided with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review by the author.
This book takes you on an emotional roller-coaster from start to finish. Layla is a 21 year old woman who has just discovered that her Mum wasn't her Mum at all and that she had been adopted. Layla is a shy, reclusive person who is talked into going to find her biological family by her 2 friends.
Quin is a 22 year old bloke who is taken with Layla as soon as he lays his eyes on her and has the task of explaining the truth behind who Layla is to her.
This is a book of two stories; Layla & Quin and Rhosewen & Aedan. The plot twists and turns and the character development progresses really well.
There are different POV's running through the book and even though they are not clearly marked out the author has managed to write it without confusing you as to whose mind you are invading at that point.
What I love about this book is that it has its own storyline which concludes nicely and the `series' storyline which leaves you wanting more and waiting for the next book. This is a rare find in a series book.
I found the book a bit slow at times but in spite of this I quite enjoyed the journey this book took me on.
on 18 June 2012
I got this book when it was free on Amazon, I don't think I would have bought it from the description if I had to pay for it, Im really glad I got it free and decided to read it. Its not the best supernatural story iv read and took me a minute to get in to it but when I did I really enjoyed it, I will be buying the next one, It has the chemistry and a really good story within it, I actually cried at one part, so yeah id say its worth buying and most will enjoy it.
on 17 February 2014
Didn't like this first book at all, it was long drawn out and should have been tied in with the second book of the series. Half the book was about Layla's parents and although important to the theme of the series didn't need all the fine details especially when the story wasn't about them and it was a vision from a ring. I read the second book as I was intrigued as to what was actually going on. The second book was much better but be patient because the third book has some all out action and emotion.....
on 1 November 2014
it was good and very well written but the only thing about it that would put me off is that i though the ending was a bit rushed it went straight from her parents memory to the end of the book i would have liked to have read on without needing to buy the next book but other then that it was really good :)
on 15 October 2013
This book makes me cry every time i read it and this is the fourth, no other series has done that. I love the series. I found this book as i was on the hunt for free books and this is the only one where instead of moving onto the the free book on my list, I went and read through the entire series. This book is a really good intro to the series as it tells the beginning of Layla/quinn's story but also layla's parents story so that you understand the amount of love in these books.
At the beginning of the story you don't know what sort of bad guy Argo is going to be but by the end of it you absolutely hate him for breaking Layla's family apart.
A tale steeped in magic and romance, with all the right touches of 'evil' waiting to pounce.

I did enjoy this story, although I am not a fan of 'romance' - it was well written, however, and held my attention, especially when the 'magic' was revealed. The characters were believable, despite the fantasy, and I liked them (good and bad) as the 'darker side' brought another, very interesting, dimension to the plot.

Two couples, decades apart and yet linked...that's all I will say as I don't give spoilers. I will say that it is definitely worth reading and yes, it was cleverly done in that the reader will want to carry on to the next book - I know I will.
on 2 July 2013
I'm not good a writing reviews but this book really touched me and pulled at my heart strings. I normally avoid books that make me cry but I'm glad I didn't avoid this one. This was a brilliant read and I downloaded the second book straight away, I was still crying through the beginning of the second book, (my eyes are so puffy this morning I'm glad I didn't have to go to work,) I'm sure will will agree with me that when a book gets you like that, that's the sign of a very good writer. Well done to you B C Burgess :)
on 21 April 2013
I was lucky enough to be gifted this book by the author as a prize & absolutely loved it, so much so that I was straight on to book 2, Impassion! Loved the descriptive writing style, especially the descriptions of the scenery during Layla's journey to Oregon. The characters are very believable and I was so glad that Layla's parents' story was fully told rather than just snippets. There's a definite theme of love throughout the book with the addition of magic but always the threat of evil in the background to balance a great story. Looking forward to seeing how the characters and their relationships develop throughout the series.
on 20 May 2014
I got this book at first because I got it for free. So glad I managed to stumble across this book. I absolutely fell in love with the story and characters after the first couple of chapters. It is a stunning book with a lot of surprises. The author is amazing. You actually feel what the characters feel with the way they write. You feel the heartache, the suspense and you feel like you're falling in love with the characters. I would recommend this book to everyone.
on 20 November 2014
I thought this book had a really slow start, and few too many cheesy lines. By mid book my opinion changed and i became much more interested. The ending was good and I'll definitely be reading the next one.