on 28 January 2011
My wife who is a teacher put one of these on her Christmas list and I assumed it would end up in school.

However, it was deemed 'too good' for school and has been used exclusively on what can only be described as a 'war reserve' of pencils accumulated in our household.

The basic construction is robust, although probably not as attractive as others on the market, I purchased it as it had better reviews than most and was on Prime.

As you can see from the photo, it has a movable dial on the top to accommodate various pencil sizes. As mentioned by other reviewers, it has two blades which do look like cleverly mounted pencil sharpeners.

The blade on the left will only service standard pencils whilst the one on the right can be be used to service standard to fat, although the one fat that we do have looked rather more like it had been polished than sharpened.

Each sharpener appears to have it's own motor so it takes 4 x AA batteries, 2 for each. The battery covers are easy but secure . . . no fiddly little screw that are so popular today, and it is a simple 'slide and click' affair, as is the transparent cover on the front for emptying shavings.

The operation is simply a push-to-sharpen procedure and I have to say, the end results have so far been impressive for standard pencils. We have had no lead breakages, save where a lead is broken the length of the pencil and you can achieve a point that would make a mosquito wince.

Overall, we have had no complaints although I bear in mind the blunting comments from others as that was my first concern when seeing the internal mechanism.
22 comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 August 2011
I was expecting to have a sharpener without having to twist my wrist, and I got it exactly what I looked for. Not so expensive yet ergonomically convenient and aesthetically wonderful piece of item next to my working desk.
on 19 September 2010
Derwent Battery Operated Sharpener and I say WOW! You place your graphite or coloured pencils of any size, standing up into the hole and it gives you a clean cut nose at >23° degrees, with a needle point if you require detail work at a desired length!

I have already gone through 200 pencils and the blade still cuts & shaves like new.

But warning on pencils that break, you need to stop and clean often, also note that if you have an old pencil set around for 10 years or much older like I do, they have drier and therefore harder wood casing, so it might be tough to hold still and may damage the blade (any blade infact).

If noses break it's not the sharpener at fault but the dry wax/oil binder to the pigment (for coloured pencils).

I have used all most all the brands from Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor (my No: 1), Faber Castell Polychromos, CARAN d'ACHE, Derwent Artist, Karisma Berol (great pencils, I still have these, too bad they stopped the production) except for Prismacolor.

***

revised note: added 23rd July 2011

I have now sharpened & reached over 400+ Pencils and am starting to have a Blunt blade, their are no replacements in the Box!

So you will need to find them! (I have no Idea where, you can replace it with one from the free market)

On another issue, fine Pigment and wood dust does drop thru the bottom, so I advise you use a piece of paper towel to work on and collect the small particles so you don't smudge your art work. (the maker could have had a bottom cap/lid to keep in the fine grind output.

***
on 3 January 2012
I found that the box of which the product came in was slightly damaged, nevertheless the product itself was fine. I found that the product was heavy enough to stop the sharpener from moving once the pencil is inserted, and doesn't require effort to use it. However the quality of sharpness is not as good as a decent non electric sharpener, so I believe manually you can achieve a sharper point. Although it still proves to be a decent point and if you're someone who doesn't require an absolute point, you should find this satisfactory with the lack of effort needed overcomes the lack of a sharp point.
on 6 October 2011
I have just received and tested this product and it sharpens pencils with precision and speed.

You only need to apply a small yet firm amount of pressure to ensure your pencil is correctly sharpened. The remaining features on the product are user friendly and, therefore, will present little or no confusion to the consumer using this pencil accessory.

However, I was disappointed with the packaging. The product was placed in a slightly tight bubble lined jiffy. The outcome of using such packaging was that the box for the product was squashed and the bottom of it was open. I would strongly recommend to the supplier of this product to use a cardboard box with bubble wrap filling around the box of the product to protect it during its delivery.

Overall, the product is value for money and, having showed this product to a family member, I have ordered the same product again at their request.
on 28 October 2011
arrived very quickly and son spent hours sharpening every pencil he had..and every pencil I had... and every pencil his brother had and.....etc. very easy to use and very popular tool
on 30 August 2012
This sharpener sharpens pencils fine, but it leaks all the fine lead shavings from the bottom,
making a big mess on your desk.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 January 2013
Since I`ve been back "into" coloured pencils, and have spent a lot of money on sets of Polychromos and Prismacolor, I felt this would be worth a go. As the most stressful thing (other than being dropped) that your pencil lead will endure is the sharpening process, it`s worth investing in something that will look after them; and this has proved a fine investment. Four batteries create a decent bit of power and I haven`t had to change the batteries in the four months I`ve owned it, and there are five different size selections so pretty much every pencil I own, and that I`ll ever own, fit. It leaves a little bit of residue (small flecks of sharpenings) underneath so make sure you leave it on something unimportant, and not your masterpiece.
on 6 June 2014
The product is fine in sharpening pencils, but it does want to rip the pencil from your hand as the blade seems to "catch" on the grain all too often. Maybe a sharper unit would help.

Various widths of pencil are committed by the means of twisting the access hole around to the appropriate size. In addition, there is a dedicated hole for offering up a longer point, great for shading. Quite large and despite the footprint, still need a spare hand to steady. OK product, but expected better from teh Derwent brand, who are my "go to" brand for artist materials and pencils.
on 27 March 2014
When I first started using this MY first reaction was brilliant,why didn't I get one earlier,unfortunately I use slot of pencils and after using the sharpener for about a week ,and sharpening roughly 300 pencils, it now seems to be blunt and is just chewing up all the pencils and so I have reverted back to my standard sharpener. Nice idea shame it doesn't last longer. Not worth the money.