- Paperback: 128 pages
- Publisher: Sheldon Press; 3 edition (20 Sept. 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1847092357
- ISBN-13: 978-1847092359
- Product Dimensions: 13.8 x 0.7 x 21.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (562 customer reviews)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
2,526 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #4 in Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Neurology
- #4 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions > Mood Disorders
- #6 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Neurology & Clinical Neurophysiology
Depressive Illness: The Curse of the Strong (3rd Edition): Volume 3 (Overcoming Common Problems) Paperback – 20 Sep 2012
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
'If the response to his Radio 2 broadcast is anything to go by, Tim Cantopher is saying something uniquely powerful to people with depression. People affected by depression tell me this is the most powerful and helpful book ever written about the topic. I keep meeting people who say this book changed their lives.' --Jeremy Vine, BBC Radio 2
'This book should be read by everybody… It offers invaluable insight into depression.' --Depression Alliance
'In the battle to beat depression, this book represents the definitive weapon.' --Ruth Lavery, DEPEND
About the Author
Dr Tim Cantopher is a consultant psychiatrist working with the Priory Group of Hospitals. He is author of Stress-Related Illness, and Dying for a Drink, Sheldon Press.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
Having read it a year ago, I've just been reminded to write a review by a conversation I've just had with the friend I gave it to the second I'd finished it. I had had such a revelation while reading it: it described my situation so clearly, and I recognised her immediately too.Read more ›
Understanding the illness is the only way to accept it, learn and move forward, and that is exactly what this book is about - teaching you the facts of depression and destroying the myths that most people hold about the illness - `anti-depressants are addictive, they are bad for you, they make you worse....you just need to pull yourself together....cheer yourself up....snap out of it.....get on with it....you are just being weak, you need to be stronger.... We don't realise; neither do those who are trying to be helpful; that Depression is a physical illness. Yes - a PHYSICAL illness. "It is every bit as physical as pneumonia or a broken leg". In depression, the bit that's broken is called the `Limbic System'. The book explains very eloquently how and why this is a physical illness, the physical symptoms experienced and why it needs to be treated as such.
Ready for the next big shock: - only STRONG people are at risk of developing depression. This physical illness does not develop out of the blue, or caught like a cold; it develops after prolonged periods of pushing yourself too hard, and/or experiencing a major life-event or series of life-events. Everyone who has had, or will have depression shares something in common - a conscientious personality, with a drive to keep going and never giving up.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
recommended to people suffering from stress and depression. It help understand the issue, the effects of medications and provide avenues to cope.Published 1 day ago by pierre bernard
Excellent information and an easy read. Good place to start for someone who is encountering depression for the 1st time. Humourous in the right places too!Published 5 days ago by Ant
The Curse of the Strong is a short book at only 114 pages. This appealed to me. If you suffer from depression, you will understand the struggle to sit and concentrate for long... Read morePublished 9 days ago by Shelley Wilson
This is a great read for anyone working in a modern demanding environment or found themselves in a stressful lifestyle, especially if you have been unsuccessful navigating this... Read morePublished 28 days ago by Amazon Customer (David)
Full of useful information.
Makes you think, makes you laugh, makes you smile but not in a patronising way. Found it very helpful. Read more
This book will change your life and help you get through the hardest of times. Realy helpful if you suffer with anxiety too.Published 2 months ago by vix
Well worth a read if you or someone you love is suffering. May even change your life!
I'm appalled by the comments on here about the "pro-drug" nature of this book. That somehow, with depression, we don't really need medication, and that a whole load of... Read morePublished 2 months ago by C. Davies
This is an excellent book, very informative and extremely useful.Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions > Depression
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions > Mood Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions > Stress
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Neurology & Clinical Neurophysiology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Mental Health & Illness
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Self Help > Stress Management
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Diseases & Disorders > Mental Diseases & Disorders
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Neurology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z