on 16 November 2017
Excellent book which helped me understand someone close to me with depression. Would definitely recommend.
on 2 January 2018
Can I please cancel the book by Dorothy Rowe, the way out of your prison kindle edition.
on 17 September 2016
I never leave feedback regarding books, but this is an exceptional read. In my opinion this is the only book to invest in if you want to get through and past depression. Believe me I've read a lot of 'help' books over the last 40 years and they have all given me good advice, but not the self empowering advice that is within the pages of this book.

I have lived with depression of all depths and have been diagnosed with bipolar. It's like living in a labyrinth......just as the pills and Yada Yada pep talks start to take effect, you find a little confidence and then the trap door of life opens beneath I you. You're back where you started, with a bag if life tools that are no longer working and you still can't find the key to get out of your prison.

Dorothy Rowe delivers her experience and knowledge with uncomplicated compassion. She says it as it is, cutting through the fog in your head to show you the core foundation of your suffering. Most importantly, she gives you the key to help you help yourself and a map giving direction. For the first time in a long time you feel self empowered and confident about moving forward.

I read this in two days. From the very first page it was like coming up for air.

I apply her thinking and advice every moment of the day. Already I can see glimpses of the true me that has been buried for so long.

My very best wishes in your journey.
on 7 April 2016
I bought this for my teenage daughter who was being treated at the time for depression in an NHS facility. She had become very despondent about the treatment she was receiving, mainly drug treatment that appeared to be hindering and not helping. I had read reviews of the book and felt it may help her. She read it avidly and said it was the most helpful thing that she'd had over the year of being in hospital and felt that some of the ideas in the book should be put in a 'pack' for patients to read in an effort to help themselves more. It definitely explains convincingly, from the author's extensive experience, that depression is not 'cured' by drug therapy and that people do have the means to overcome it if they are helped to do so with understanding and empathy.
on 9 July 2016
This book seemed outdated in many views to anyone who is up to date with modern trends in mental health issues. As a self help book it is NOT to be recommended. Steer clear. Previous Rowe publications I have enjoyed but this was not a pleasant read.
on 7 April 2016
I read this book when I was working with a lot of people that suffered from depression and initially had that in mind. Quickly, as the book granted me a new way of seeing things, I turned the focus onto myself and leant a lot. A great book for analysing the unhelpful ways of thinking and approaching situations which cause people to unknowingly create their own 'prison'.

The first part of the book was so simple and so useful that it is hard to underestimate how much it has affected the way I think today; both about my own world and about depression. Whilst I'm not sure it tells the whole story, it certainly contributes a sufficiently strong component that I would say it was essential to any clinician, patient, sufferer or person's arsenal.

The second half of the book feels more dated and perhaps less relevant, but still offers an insight into the common situations many women found themselves in back when the book was written.
on 31 May 2014
My father bought this years ago to help with my depression. It helped me understand the ways out of depression whilst not being ready. A great book that I gave to a relative and bought so I would still retain a copy.
on 6 October 2017
mmmm not sure about the content
on 13 April 2009
This book gave me great insight into depression, what it is and why you suffer from it. All the time I was reading this, lights were coming on in my head and as I made connections with my own experiences. Depression is indeed a prison and the analogy made where the sufferer is both prisoner and jailer is spot on. I struggled with depression for fourteen years. Although it wasn't the severely disabling type that some people suffer, it still blighted my life and blunted any feelings of enjoyment I might have had. Reading this book would have helped me understand the condition better and make me more able to come out of it. This book should be available on prescription instead of the addictive anti-depressants that doctors are so fond of prescribing as a quick fix.
on 12 March 2014
Rowe's book goes beyond the apparently narrow scope of its title. It's also accessible and intelligent reading without being obvious and trite - it's not another exhortation to sanity but an examination of what a thoughtful life entails..