on 15 May 2012
I have only been quilting for the the last couple of years and although I am fascinated by the history of quilting, I am not overly fond of busy quilts.
This book gives a short, one page introduction to the originals of each quilt pattern and details the various names by which you may have heard of the pattern.
Denise then goes on to clearly explain how she interpreted the pattern to make the quilt as simply as possible. I think this is a lovely quilt book, in fact one I wish I had written myself. I mean that as a compliment.
I have not made any of the quilts and will revise my comments when I have. I awarded four stars, as I prefer a spiral bound book to lay flat and open beside my sewing machine.
on 20 April 2012
I was really pleased with this book. It has a great mix of appliqué and patchwork based designs all with traditional roots that have been presented in a really modern way. There are several designs that I will be taking forward and as each pattern has a list of the fabrics used they could be recreated easily. The back of the book also has a fold out paper pattern.

There is some beautiful photography that when combined with the history of the pattern makes it a good read too.
on 29 January 2016
Beautiful, clearly written and illustrated.

A fine example of how to design great quilts using inspired colour and fabric choices! There are some very good designs here that will remain classic and timeless and I recommend this book to anyone interested in design rather than simple (sic) piecing. Well worth the cover price.
on 14 September 2013
Would recommend to any budding quilter, really beautiful contemporary quilts and easy to follow instructions, I would be interested in any future books Denise releases
on 11 June 2013
Nice to have a modern book for quilting. Good instructions and informative additional tips at the end. Would like another by Denyse Schmidt.
on 8 November 2015
Lovely book full of interesting information about the super patterns.