Demons and the Devil: Moral Imagination in Modern Greek Culture (Princeton Modern Greek Studies) Hardcover – 30 Sep 1991
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"The major contribution of Charles Stewart's study is the evidence he provides of the essential link between the demons that have had an important part in modern village life and the traditional demons in the Greek Orthodox cosmology."--New York Review of Books
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
In general, this book was not a breeze to read as it is intended for the student of University level anthropological studies. However, as a lover of the Levant, I found the subject intriguing and well worth the two weeks that it took me to actually read and make notations regarding the book's contents.
This is a great companion piece to Lawson's "Modern Greek Folklore and Ancient Greek Religion" and the Blum's "The Dangerous Hour: The Lore and Culture of Mystery and Crisis in Rural Greece.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Religious History > Other Religions
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Occult > Satanism & Demonology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Social & Cultural
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology