Customer reviews

A Demon Made Me Do It: A Demonblood Novel: Volume 1
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 February 2015
Human Liora and demon Lucky inhabit the same body. Things go smoothly enough when they follow the rules and stick to their alotted time. But Lucky doesn't like rules, and her grasp over what is acceptable behaviour can make Liora's life a living hell.

I downloaded this book for free - oh crikey, all the way back in December 2013. But as you sometimes do with free ebooks, they sit on your computer and kindle for ages before you get round to them.
Then I did eventually start it, and I was immediately put off. I don't know, from the synopsis and my own stupid brain that jumped to conclusions, I was expecting something else. I thought it would be more comedic, I thought it would be following Liora's attempt at human life and how the enemy Lucky was ruining it.
I know, I know, I shot myself in the foot. I read it and it was good, but I thought perhaps a three star.

Then one day at work, during dinner time when I usually get my reading done, there was one book I was supposed to be reading, but it was so bad I had to DNF. And the only other thing I had on my kindle was A Demon Made Me Do It...
I re-read it and I had to kick myself. How had I been so blinkered? It is actually a really sweet story. Liora and Lucky are such fun characters, and they are just like squabbling siblings. Lucky always plays big sister, looking out for Liora, whether she wants it or not.
And Liora is trying to play the good girl, trying to do well at school and make her life matter in comparison to Lucky's.

Some stories have a love triangle, this one goes straight for a square!
Lucky has to deal with her attraction to the new stranger in town, as well as accepting that her best friend Bones may well be in love with her.
And poor Kieron, who is involved with Lucky and Liora!

The world of the demons, the hierarchy and volatile politics, is creative and you just dive in alongside Lucky.
But Liora's world is no less real. She knows about demons and such, and shuns everything to do with them. She loves her human life, and that makes the time spent in the human world no less special than the demon world.

Overall, this book was a beautiful balance, and definitely a series to try out. Especially as the book is still free on Amazon people!
on 11 September 2011
I brought a book recently & really enjoyed it...only to my later embrassment to find it was written for young adults & teens. Sadly I am well past that stage BUT to my amazement I have continued to read this style of book & found the writing far superior than a lot of adult literature out there. Most 'chick lit' even if it's fantasy tells a sloppy story ....add a bit of romance & some steamy love scenes & hey presto ....you have a best seller. If you can't rely on 'sex' to sell your books it's got to be well written instead.
This is one of those books.
In fairness I struggled a bit with this book at first. You have one body containing two teenagers ...one demion Lucky & one human Liora. Lucky gets the body all night whereas Liora gets the body during the day. Lucky is wild brave & sexy whilst Liora is quiet & just wants to blend in.
Once you get use to the story swapping between the two ......it really is quite good. Too complex story to write about but needless to say in the end both girls get the man.
Well worth a read regardless of your age & at the price offered on your Kindle you have little to lose.
7 people found this helpful
on 25 January 2013
This book quite surprised me.. I wouldn't have even looked at this book, if it wasn't available free from the amazon kindle store.

The series has lots of potential. As you know its about a girl who is split into two beings in one body. A human by day, and a demon by night. They are two individual entities are with their own personality and for the most part is unaware of what the other half does within their time.

Kind of supernatural take on Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Lucky is trying to get justice/revenge from a thing that happened in the past that caused her to split into two; aswell as revenged to her friends. I would want to see how this works out in the future (if it does work out). I can't see them able 'to be one' again. Liora (human) has taking on a life herself and the only way i could see Lucky becoming whole again is purging Liora from her in some way, either by death or being split physically (e.g. Liora gets a new body) and if this happens will either of them be happy especially Lucky?

They both seem adamant, that they basically don't care for each other. In Lucky case it comes of as pride, and wanting to be 'whole' again. She believes Liora makes her weak, in a sense and hate being bound to only being present in the night and limited because of that, not to mention able to shut her emotions off. But even Lucky hesitantly admitted that the human emotions feel good, when they are good and dreadful when they are bad.

If they do somehow split or become whole in the future I think Lucky would personally hate it and feel like a void exists within her. I also think secretly she cares about Liora and can't help to care for her, even if she does try to make it come off as survival need to protect Liora to protect herself.

As for Liora she blames and hates all things demon,,, or at least tries to hate all things demon. I wont include any spoilers, but i think you see where im coming from once you read the book. I have no clue how Liora would deal being split or being made whole again. If she made whole wouldn't she just be Lucky with the memories of Liora human life? and if they split into individual beings, i have no clue how that would affect her; as for the most part she already shunned her demon life (minus ... [no spoilers])

Anyways interesting start to the series.
on 1 April 2014
I am a reader over 60 but have taken to reading YA novels recently. Some I have loved and have gone the distance with the series, but I think with this one I am YA'd out. There is nothing wrong with this book (strong storyline, good mix of characters and well written) - it's just not for me anymore.

The premise of 2 people sharing one body day/night sounded like it would make for an interesting read, with the mystical creatures (both good and bad) but I found myself ploughing my way through, rather than avidly reading which is what I usually do.

Perfect for the intended audience as everything can be life altering at that age and this has strong moral codes but, having read the first chapter of the second book in the series, I think it is time to go back to what I know and love.

As said, suits the YA audience and well worth the read if that is what you are in to.
on 3 January 2014
This is the first book of three in the Demonblood Series. I downloaded this as a freebie on Amazon sometime back and I have to say it blew me away! I had never read any Demon paranormal romance before reading this and I was pleasantly surprised by the plot of two personalities in one body, Demon by night (Lucky)and Human by day (Liora), each don't seem to like each other that much! Although they can feel each other they don't remember too much about what the other half has been doing in their time. Its an original idea and one I have never come across before. I have now read all 3 books in the series but wanted to go back and provide a review for this book as it really is worth a read for all paranormal lovers!
on 28 August 2015
I guess I'm slightly outside the intended age group for this book, prob by about 40 years ! It didn't stop me enjoying it though,I thought the author had a great imagination,and was very original.My only criticism is that I found things went a bit slow about halfway through the book, but I guess its a minor quibble as the scene was being set and I was impatient to get on with the story,Overall a very entertaining read.
on 20 November 2012
Good Points

-When reading paranormal romance books, it can often seem like you've seen every supernatural creature written about a hundred times before. King managed to put her own twist on demons and angels. We saw both the good and the bad in the demons rather then the just the one-sided evil sort we've grown used to. This in turn made the characters less one sided.
-I also loved the multiple personalities in one body idea. Being stuck with some else in my body half the time is my idea of hell but it makes for great reading.
-Whilst both Lucky and Liora had their flaws, they're both likable characters. (Although I preferred Lucky, she was way more bad-ass.)
-And finally what paranormal romance these days doesn't have a classic love triangle to add some angst! The first triangle between Kieron, Lucky and Bones was great. Bones is a incubus/hell hound and there is something really endearing about his straight-forward character.

Bad Points

-The second love triangle between Lucky, Kieron and Liora was...to be quite frank, rather odd. Lucky and Liora are two different people. Lucky is a justice demon, likes sexy outfits, killing things and is hell bent on revenge whilst Liora is shy, a loner and hates demons. Kieron dates both of them and in my mind that's not ok. The justification for him being able to date the two different girls (albeit in the one body) is that he 'sees them as the same person'. That excuse might work if Kieron's personality didn't seem to change depending on which girl he's with and the fact that it's the differences in their personalities which make the book work so well.

Overall

It's a good book and the fact that it's free as an e-book makes it even better. This is the first time in a paranormal romance where the leading male has annoyed me. Despite this it's well written with some original ideas. I give it 3 stars out of 5.

[...]
on 22 September 2014
This was an OK read but I found that it wasn't quite what I expected. I was a little disappointed and don't think I will buy any others in the series. It might just be that it was not for me as others might quite enjoy the story.
One person found this helpful
on 7 November 2013
Honestly one of the best books I've ever read & I've read a lot of good books! This just had everything a great novel needs. It was funny, full of suspense with loveable, memorable & unique characters. The book itself is incredibly creative. My life literally went on hold for a whole day until I finished reading it. I'm now off to buy the second book. Simply beautiful.
on 3 November 2013
I enjoyed this book, interesting twist on the demon, vampire genre. Classic love /triangle stuff. Main character is a half demon girl who lives as a pure human during the day and a demon at night due to a curse. Story was slow at times but worth persevering, I plan to get the next instalment.